BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
fierceanalytics
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello, 

"proc freq data=w; table year/missing list ; run;" shows there are 4 years, 45 observations each. Total is 180. Simple. 

Now "proc contents data=w(where=(year=1)); run;" ---- how many observations are expected to show in the result? 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Your PROC CONTENTS should show 180 observations.

The WHERE clause is meaningless for PROC CONTENTS.

--
Paige Miller
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Proc contents prints metadata, the where-option has no impact on the metadata of the processed dataset, there are still 180 obs in your dataset.

fierceanalytics
Obsidian | Level 7
I look up documentation. Not seeing where there is list of procedures that are exception as such. Does anyone know where to find it? Thank you
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@fierceanalytics wrote:
I look up documentation. Not seeing where there is list of procedures that are exception as such. Does anyone know where to find it? Thank you

What is that you looking for in the documentation?

The concept that a WHERE has no impact is PROC CONTENTS is just common sense.  Not clear if there is any need (any way) to document that.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @fierceanalytics,

I think the list of [Base SAS] Procedures That Support the WHERE Statement is what you're looking for. PROC CONTENTS is not listed there, as expected.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation