DataExplorer
Fluorite | Level 6

I have the following  Oracle SQL:

select count(*) from my_table where trunc(timestamp) = trunc(sysdate);

I have lib to the database and created following code:

proc sql;

select count(*) from Libma.my_table where trunc(timestamp) = trunc(sysdate);

run;

How I figured out trunc works different in SAS but what is best solution to get the same result as in Oracle SQL.

3 REPLIES 3
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

What are the contents of the columns?

Oracle trunc() is a function that retrieves the date out of a date, since (IIRC) Oracle dates can also contain times (similar to Excel, where datetimes are stored as counts of days, with the time in the fractional part).

So what you are looking for in SAS is the datepart() function if you need to retrieve the date from a datetime (as in SAS dates are counts of days, and times counts of seconds, so datetime = 86400 * date). But you need to take care that you don't apply datepart() to something that is already a date when imported into SAS by the oracle engine.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

PS trunc() is a special function in SAS that reduces the length of the binary representation of numbers (which means that the values remain mostly unchanged aside from a loss in precision).

DataExplorer
Fluorite | Level 6

Ok  i tried the following Code

where datepart(zeitstempel) = today();

Seem to work but no matches in the database so I tried the following code for a test:

where datepart(zeitstempel) = datepart(timestamp '2018-08-08 18:50:07');

but I get this error

33         where datepart(mytimestamp) = datepart(timestamp '2018-08-08 18:50:07');

ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: !, !!, &, *, **, +, ',', -, /, <, <=, <>, =, >, >=, ?, AND, CONTAINS,

EQ, EQT, GE, GET, GT, GTT, LE, LET, LIKE, LT, LTT, NE, NET, OR, ^=, |, ||, ~=. 

Not sure what the problem ist.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation