BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
reubens
Calcite | Level 5

Please help (if indeed there is a solution)

I’m running a proc import (see 21.sas)

I'm using SAS 9.4 (unicode support), which I need to use to ensure my data files are consistent in their encoding.

However, the proc import shows the British pound symbol as a question mark with a black diamond around it.

Can you please help with resolving the proc import command to show the data the correct currency symbol?

reubens_0-1695921986353.png

[Note: Using SAS9.4 (english) will import the british pound currency just fine]

I look forward to your response.

Attached is a small CSV file with my proc import code

cheers,

Reuben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

For one, do never use PROC IMPORT for csv files; you are MUCH better off writing the DATA step yourself.

Second, I suspect that your csv file was created in a single-byte environment, and you should use the ENCODING= option of the INFILE statement, most probably with a value of WLATIN1.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

For one, do never use PROC IMPORT for csv files; you are MUCH better off writing the DATA step yourself.

Second, I suspect that your csv file was created in a single-byte environment, and you should use the ENCODING= option of the INFILE statement, most probably with a value of WLATIN1.

reubens
Calcite | Level 5

thanks you so much Kurt for the quick reply and solution

Perfect, that works great!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation