BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
FHeinen
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I am currently facing the issue, that when I try to make a zip file of large .XPT datasets (>5Gb) in SAS EG the large datasets does not get compressed and the zip file is not created correctly. I do not get any error or warning and the zip file is created but the large dataset is not compressed as expected. I do not get this issue with smaller datasets it only occurs with these large datasets.

I have tried to zip the file "manually" in windows and that works as it should and the large datasets get compressed as expected.

Likewise I have tried to export the same large dataset as an csv file and then zip it, which works fine as well.

I cannot figure out why this is happening, only that there could be a file size limit in SAS preventing me from doing this. I really hope someone can help me identify the issue and come up with a solution?

I am using below code the create the zip file for your reference:

ods package(newzip) open nopf;

data _NULL_;
      set files_to_include;
      call execute('ods package(newzip) add file="'||strip(file_path)||'" 
path="'||strip(path_in_zip)||'";');
   run; 

ods package(newzip) publish archive
      properties (archive_name="&zip_name..zip" archive_path="&place_zip_here.");

ods package(newzip) close; 
5 REPLIES 5
CarmineVerrell
SAS Employee

This is a known issue.. please see below.

Adding a large file which is greater than 4G to an archive file using the ODS
Package destination generates a corrupted file. In the SAS log the note below is
added which notes a change in the version of the zip file because of the size
which is now version 4.5 version rather than the 2.0 version. 

See link for more information http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/99/

FHeinen
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for your reply.

That helped a lot getting to understand the issue.

However, this is actually not my issue. I do not get the note you are talking about in my log (link). I do not get any note similar to that. The zip file is created but the large dataset is not compressed while all the other minor datasets are compressed in the zip file. The zip file in itself is only 200Mb. So you can say that it seems like it it compressed but when opening and examining the zip file the large dataset is still >5Gb. So something is going wrong with these large datasets.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Have you tried creating the dataset with compress-option? That way the dataset may be small enough to zip it.

FHeinen
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes I have tried that, but it does not compress the dataset enough to be below 4Gb. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If you can extract a working dataset of original size from the 200 MB ZIP archive, the compress has worked and the size reported from the ZIP metadata is the uncompressed size.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation