BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASAna
Quartz | Level 8

Hi SAS Users,

I need a help.

I am updating a table with PROC SQL syntax and where condition is not working properly.

year_month value is coming as 01FEB2018 ( a date field) and concatenation needs character conversion , i converted it to put(year_month1,date9.) and looks like  ( ABC01FEB2018 which is id || put(year_month1,date9.)  )

on the right side, i have min(year_month) which is in SAS integer format, i need to convert this into  01FEB2018 format to get the merge correctly.

Or IS there any better way to merge this charcter-date field with min(date) ?

proc sql;
create table dataset2_2 as
select * from dataset2_1
;
update dataset2_1 a
set new_ind =99
where new_ind =1
and (id ||  put(year_month1,date9.)) not in ( select id || min(year_month) from dataset2_2 where new_ind =1)         /* not working */
;
Quit;

Thanks,

Ana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

You need to explicitly control all numeric to character conversions. Otherwise SAS will use a best format a likely have a bunch of leading blanks in part of the value especially if using the || operator to concatenate text.

Something like:  select  ID || Put(min(year_month),date9)

Personally instead of doing the concatenation of values in Dataset2_2 as a sub-query I would create a variable in the first bit:

proc sql;
   select * , cats(id,put(min(year_month),date9.)) as combid
   from dataset2_1
;

And then use the Combid (or whatever) in the update.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
not in (select cats(id,put(min(year_month),date9.))) from dataset2_2 where new_ind =1)
--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

You need to explicitly control all numeric to character conversions. Otherwise SAS will use a best format a likely have a bunch of leading blanks in part of the value especially if using the || operator to concatenate text.

Something like:  select  ID || Put(min(year_month),date9)

Personally instead of doing the concatenation of values in Dataset2_2 as a sub-query I would create a variable in the first bit:

proc sql;
   select * , cats(id,put(min(year_month),date9.)) as combid
   from dataset2_1
;

And then use the Combid (or whatever) in the update.

SASAna
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you. worked very well.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Not having SAS at my home computer, I am also skeptical if you can use the MIN function inside this type of SELECT clause, but I can't test it out right now. So as much as I hate to admit it, I think @ballardw is on the right track.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation