BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
theflunkee
Fluorite | Level 6

I have two tables (a and b) where both tables have column "time" and the tables has different number of rows (b has more rows than a)

However, a.time and b.time are not the same and I hope to merge the two tables to a, using time as constraint.

I want data from b only be merge to a, where b.time is the closest time to a.time, but less than a.time.

Thinking how to use proc sql for the data.... my previous attempts reported an error for insufficient memory... Many Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
EyalGonen
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

An approach with SQL could be to join tables by a.time >= b.time (or maybe by a.time between b.time and b.time - 1 week for example to limit the results) that would produce a 1:n join then you could group by a.time and select the rows HAVING b.time = max(b.time)

theflunkee
Fluorite | Level 6

I got the following error....
ERROR: Sort execution failure.

proc sql; create table a_vs_b
as select a.S1, b.S2
from tablea as a left join tables as b
on a.time >= b.time
group by a.time
having b.time=max(b.time);
quit;
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Please post data in usable form and the expected result.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation