BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mmhxc5
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I would like to merge two datasets by STRUCTURE_NUMBER_008 and Inspection_Year if available in both datasets and keep all the variables in the output. when I run the code, it gives zero observation from the merge statement.

data SNOW_FIRNSA05;
merge all_data(in=one) snow_data(in=two) ;
by STRUCTURE_NUMBER_008 Inspection_Year;
if one;
run;

The format for the BY Variables is the same, but I do not know why the code does not work.

I appreciate the time and help I anyone could help me fix this error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @mmhxc5,

It looks like Inspection_Year -- a char 15 variable (why not char 4 or, even better, numeric?) -- is left-aligned in ALL_DATA, but right-aligned in SNOW_DATA. So, the values from SNOW_DATA, e.g., '           2019' don't match those from ALL_DATA, e.g., '2019           ' because of the leading blanks. (Trailing blanks are no problem.)

You can create a new dataset (or overwrite SNOW_DATA) with a left-aligned variable Inspection_Year and use this dataset in the MERGE step:

data snow_data1;
set snow_data;
Inspection_Year=left(Inspection_Year);
run;

But I would recommend that you fix the issue (and possibly similar issues with other variables) at the stage where your datasets were initially created (from raw data or other sources), i.e., define variables with reasonable and consistent types, lengths and alignments.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mkeintz
PROC Star

Please provide the log, so that we don't have to reproduce it.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
ballardw
Super User

Formats don't matter much, it is the actual value used in the merge.

From the code you show one strongly suspects there is another issue. Rerun the code and copy from the log the code and any messages, paste on the forum into a code box opened with the </> icon to preserve formatting of the text.

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @mmhxc5,

It looks like Inspection_Year -- a char 15 variable (why not char 4 or, even better, numeric?) -- is left-aligned in ALL_DATA, but right-aligned in SNOW_DATA. So, the values from SNOW_DATA, e.g., '           2019' don't match those from ALL_DATA, e.g., '2019           ' because of the leading blanks. (Trailing blanks are no problem.)

You can create a new dataset (or overwrite SNOW_DATA) with a left-aligned variable Inspection_Year and use this dataset in the MERGE step:

data snow_data1;
set snow_data;
Inspection_Year=left(Inspection_Year);
run;

But I would recommend that you fix the issue (and possibly similar issues with other variables) at the stage where your datasets were initially created (from raw data or other sources), i.e., define variables with reasonable and consistent types, lengths and alignments.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation