BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jmspy
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello-

I have a username that it similar to this: "MY-USER-NAME" and this is causing me issues when it comes to using it as a schema in my libname.  I have tried creating a secondary variable that upcases and double quotes the username and passing that in, which allows me to assign the libname just fine, but once I attempt to use it in a data step i receive the below error.

User name secondary variable:

%let nUser = "%upcase(&user.)";

Then I successfully assign the libname:

libname nzp netezza user=&nUser. password="&nzpass" server="server.co.net" database="DBC" schema=&nUser. connection=shared;

NOTE: Libref nzp was successfully assigned as follows:
      Engine:        NETEZZA

However, attempting to create a dataset on Netezza with a data step causes this:

data nzp.mytable (bulkload=yes);
		set work.have;
	run;

NOTE: SAS variable labels, formats, and lengths are not written to DBMS tables.
ERROR: Error attempting to CREATE a DBMS table. ERROR: CLI execute error: ERROR:  'USER-NAME.MYTABLE' error   ^ found "-" (at
       char 0) expecting `AS'.
NOTE: The DATA step has been abnormally terminated.

The issue appears to be that when the libname references the schema inside the data step, it is unquoted, thereby causing this error.  Also to note, there are tables in Netezza currently that have this username as their schema, they simply show double quotes around the schema name.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jmspy
Fluorite | Level 6

A member of my company was able to help fix the issue for me

schema='"MY-USER-NAME"'

I've only gotten it to work by hard coding the username and surrounding the double-quoted username with single quotes.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
smantha
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

can you try putting %quote or %str as following

libname nzp netezza user=%quote(&nUser.) password="&nzpass" server="server.co.net" database="DBC" schema=%quote(&nUser.) connection=shared;
libname nzp netezza user=%str(&nUser.) password="&nzpass" server="server.co.net" database="DBC" schema=%str(&nUser. ) connection=shared;

Let me know what works.

jmspy
Fluorite | Level 6
I tried both and am still getting the same error
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Try putting the quotes into the value you tell the LIBNAME statement to use for the SCHEMA.

libname nzp netezza  ... schema="""USER-NAME""" ... ;
jmspy
Fluorite | Level 6
This one gave me a new error:
ERROR: Error attempting to CREATE a DBMS table. ERROR: CLI execute error: ERROR: zero-length delimited identifier.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@jmspy wrote:
This one gave me a new error:
ERROR: Error attempting to CREATE a DBMS table. ERROR: CLI execute error: ERROR: zero-length delimited identifier.

And what remote SQL code did SAS actually generate?  Make sure to turn on the logging so you can see the generated code that SAS sends.

You should open a ticket with SAS support and get them to help you debug this.

jmspy
Fluorite | Level 6
I'm actually not sure how to do that, i use the normal log and/or project log. Is there a different log you are referring to?
smantha
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Netezza by default writes log to some place on your local machine. You need to find where it is located.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

There are many SAS options that control how much information is written to the SAS log.  Here are some example settings I have used in the past.

options msglevel=i nostsuffix sastrace=',,,ds' sastraceloc=saslog sql_ip_trace=source;

Also try checking if you can access that schema using explicit pass thru code.  For example if there is a table named MYTABLE in the USER-NAME schema can you run this query to count how many observations it has?

proc sql;
connect using nzp;
select * from connection to nzp
  (select count(*) as nobs from user-name.mytable)
;
quit;

jmspy
Fluorite | Level 6

Here's the output with those additional log options:

NETEZZA: AUTOCOMMIT is NO for connection 1

NETEZZA_1: Executed: on connection 1
SELECT * FROM DBC.MY-USER-NAME.MYTABLE WHERE 0=1

Summary Statistics for NETEZZA are:
Total SQL execution seconds were:                   0.000619
Total seconds used by the NETEZZA ACCESS engine were     0.000782

NETEZZA_2: Prepared: on connection 0
SELECT * FROM DBC.MY-USER-NAME.MYTABLE
^L220                                                        The SAS System                               17:09 Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Summary Statistics for NETEZZA are:
Total SQL prepare seconds were:                     0.000824
Total seconds used by the NETEZZA ACCESS engine were     0.001073

620      !  proc append base=usb.MYTABLE (bulkload=yes) data=work.have;
ERROR: CLI prepare error: ERROR:  'USER-NAME.MYTABLE error   ^ found "-" (at char 0) expecting a keyword
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@jmspy - Looks similar to this SAS note: https://support.sas.com/kb/58/291.html

I suspect SAS Tech Support is your best bet.

jmspy
Fluorite | Level 6

A member of my company was able to help fix the issue for me

schema='"MY-USER-NAME"'

I've only gotten it to work by hard coding the username and surrounding the double-quoted username with single quotes.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation