BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am saving the output from proc means in the OUTPUT dataset. my issue is with STD. In the output dataset, the column for std is created to be &varname._StdDev.

I am running this proc for so many variables and some of the names for the variables are so long that with the addition of _StdDev their length goes above 32.

In the example below, the LEVEL portion of the var name is removed to fit the var name within 32 characters with the addition of _StdDev.

ods output Summary=Output;
proc means data=&dataset std MAXDEC=2;
var &varname;
run;
The MEANS Procedure

Analysis Variable : parent_highest_education_level 
Std Dev

proc print data=output; run; 

The SAS System

Obs parent_highest_education__StdDev
1 0.02

Now that I want to access this column which should have this format &varname._StdDev, it is not accessible. How may I access the variable that is cut to a level to be <=32 characters with the suffix StdDev?

I am using this new var name to RETAIN and change the order of columns in the OUTPUT dataset after merging that with some other columns.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why not just use the real output dataset that the procedure produces?

ODS OUTPUT is a last resort method to generate a dataset that you can use to get a dataset from a procedure that was originally only designed to produce a printed report.

With the OUTPUT statement you can name the variables yourself.

You can have them keep their original names by not specifying any new names.

proc summary data=sashelp.class ;
  var _numeric_;
  output out=std std= ;
run;

proc print data=std; run;

Results

Obs    _TYPE_    _FREQ_      Age       Height     Weight

1        0        19      1.49267    5.12708    22.7739

Or if you want just the statistics N, MIN, MAX, MEAN and STD then do not request any statistics in the OUTPUT statement.  You get a vertical dataset with each statistic on a different observation.

var _numeric_;
  output out=want ;
run;

proc print data=want; run;
Obs    _TYPE_    _FREQ_    _STAT_      Age       Height     Weight

1        0        19       N        19.0000    19.0000     19.000
 2        0        19       MIN      11.0000    51.3000     50.500
 3        0        19       MAX      16.0000    72.0000    150.000
 4        0        19       MEAN     13.3158    62.3368    100.026
 5        0        19       STD       1.4927     5.1271     22.774

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
japelin
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Why don't you refer to the dictionary table and look up the names of the variables in the OUTPUT data set?

In the following code, the macro variable stdname will contain a variable name ending in "_StdDev".

data _null_;
  set sashelp.vcolumn;
  where memname='OUTPUT' and libname='WORK' and name like '%_StdDev';
  call symput('stdname',name);
run;
mkeintz
PROC Star

You could rename your original variables to take no more than 25 characters.   Then adding "_STDDEV" would keep the resulting name at 32 or less.  This would ensure that you don't have a name which gets truncated for _STDDEV, but not for, say _MEAN.  And you wouldn't have to add code just to determine a variable name.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
ballardw
Super User

If you want more detail about what a variable holds you do not need to place all of that next into a variable name. SAS Variable labels can provide output usable in most places.

So you could have a variable named "parent_hi_ed" or similar.

Then attach a label

label parent_hi_ed ="Parent's Highest Education Level";

After proc mean you would have a variable parent_hi_ed_stddev and if needed in a report you attach a label like

label parent_hi_ed_stddev ="Parent's Highest Education Level: Standard Deviation";

Now for the obnoxious comment: If your coding for "education" does not have ratio type scale then this is next to useless.

Example: coding 1 to 12 as "grades completed" or similar for first through 12th grade (high school) in typical US fashion is okay. But if 13 is "associates degree" then the 'interval' meaning between 12 and 13 is quite a bit different than between 11 and 12. This gets even less meaning full if you have "Bachelors degree" "Masters Degree" "PHD" and maybe some trade school. If the value is "years of education" then mean and stddev may mean something. But when a numeric rating scheme is only ordinal (low to high) where the intervals between each code do not mean exactly the same thing then these summary statistics are not likely appropriate. I won't even go into "equivalence" of things like GED vs High School Diploma or international school systems.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why not just use the real output dataset that the procedure produces?

ODS OUTPUT is a last resort method to generate a dataset that you can use to get a dataset from a procedure that was originally only designed to produce a printed report.

With the OUTPUT statement you can name the variables yourself.

You can have them keep their original names by not specifying any new names.

var _numeric_;
  output out=std std= ;
run;

Results

Obs    _TYPE_    _FREQ_      Age       Height     Weight

1        0        19      1.49267    5.12708    22.7739

Or if you want just the statistics N, MIN, MAX, MEAN and STD then do not request any statistics in the OUTPUT statement.  You get a vertical dataset with each statistic on a different observation.

var _numeric_;
  output out=want ;
run;

proc print data=want; run;
Obs    _TYPE_    _FREQ_    _STAT_      Age       Height     Weight

1        0        19       N        19.0000    19.0000     19.000
 2        0        19       MIN      11.0000    51.3000     50.500
 3        0        19       MAX      16.0000    72.0000    150.000
 4        0        19       MEAN     13.3158    62.3368    100.026
 5        0        19       STD       1.4927     5.1271     22.774

Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and suggestions. So many options! Thanks!

Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thank you Tom. Your method is the easiest to use for my scenario. I am using the OUTPUT option but I have one question, if you may help:

how may I choose the decimal point for the OUTPUT as the MAXDEC=2 in the PROC portion does not apply to the OUTPUT. Thanks!

var _numeric_;
output out=std std= ;
run;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

To control how values print using a FORMAT statement.

proc print data=std; 
  format _numeric_ 5.2 ;
  format _type_ _freq_ ;
run;
Emma_at_SAS
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thank you, Tom!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation