BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
L777
Fluorite | Level 6

If the patient took the exam (exam="Yes"), and if there are duplicate records with the same visit date, I would like to keep only one record, but it seems my code deletes more records. How to correct this code? I think this code only kept the first date for each ID, but for each ID, there are multiple dates. I'm not sure how to write the correct code. 

proc sort data=data;
by ID DATE exam;
run;

data data1;
set data;
by ID DATE;
if exam="No" then output;
else if exam="Yes" then do;
if first.DATE then output;
end;
run;

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

It is usually helpful to provide example of the data you have and the desired result.

This is a guess as two what you may want:

data data1;
   set data;
   by ID DATE exam;
   if exam="No" then output;
   else if exam="Yes" AND FIRST.EXAM then output;

run;

Because you do not describe any rules for exam='No' the above will output ALL of the Exam='No' for a given date.

If you only want at most one No and one Yes then perhaps:

data data1;
   set data;
   by ID DATE exam;
   if FIRST.EXAM ;

run;

You don't describe what the actual role of DATE plays in this very well or exactly what the requirement is. If you only want one date per ID you really need to provide example data and the result so we have a chance of following the hopefully expanded description of what date's role in the output data may be.

mkeintz
PROC Star

Assuming EXAM only takes the values "No" or "Yes", then

proc sort data=data;
  by ID DATE exam;
run;

data data1;
  set date;
  by id date exam;
  if exam='No' or first.exam=1;
run;

This gives you all the No's and just the first Yes for each ID/DATE.  

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation