BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
laiguanyu001
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

This is a really silly question...

I want to create a data set where one of its column value contains dash in the string. 

here's my code

data out;

input id $ description ~$ message ~$ num error ~$;

datalines;

ACN-1-001  "BLABLA" "BLABLA" 4 "BLABLA";

RUN;

what i want:

id                   description     message      num         error

ACN-1-001    BLABLA          BLABLA         4           BLABLA

there's an error message: statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order. I think the id input might need a special format but I don't know which one I should use.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

In line data stops on the line BEFORE the line with a semi-colon. So you are not passing any data to the data step.

Remove the semi-colon from the line of data.  Or if the data actually contains semi-colons then use the DATALINES4 (aka CARDS4) statement and use a line with 4 semi-colons to end the data.

data out;
datalines;
ACN-1-001  "BLABLA" "BLABLA" 4 "BLABLA"
;

Or if the data actually contains semi-colons then use the DATALINES4 (aka CARDS4) statement and use a line with 4 semi-colons to end the data.

data out;
datalines4;
;;;;

Also if you don't want the quotes as part of the value then don't use the ~ (tilda) modifier on the INPUT statement.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

In line data stops on the line BEFORE the line with a semi-colon. So you are not passing any data to the data step.

Remove the semi-colon from the line of data.  Or if the data actually contains semi-colons then use the DATALINES4 (aka CARDS4) statement and use a line with 4 semi-colons to end the data.

data out;
datalines;
;

Or if the data actually contains semi-colons then use the DATALINES4 (aka CARDS4) statement and use a line with 4 semi-colons to end the data.

data out;
datalines4;
;;;;

Also if you don't want the quotes as part of the value then don't use the ~ (tilda) modifier on the INPUT statement.

laiguanyu001
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi thanks! That solves the problem. I kept the ~$ because I am inputting  sentences for description and message. There are lots of space in each sentence so I thought it'd be a good idea to quote around them? Is this a good idea or do you have other suggestions? 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If the values contain spaces then use a delimiter.

Something like this:

data out;
  infile datalines dsd dlm='|' truncover;
  input id :$20. description :$40. message :$200. num error :$200.;
datalines;
ACN-1-001|BLA BLA|BLA BLA|4|BLA BLA
;

If the value actually contains the delimiter then add quotes around it (  "BLA|BLA" ). The quotes will not become part of the value stored in the variable.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation