BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SAStastic_Day
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, 

I am trying to figure out how to expand a dataset by creating a new row for each year between a start date and end date and find the age the person is at each year between those 2 dates.  I have tried a couple of things without success. 

I have tried to modify this code: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47428867/how-to-create-additional-rows-for-each-day-between-two-...Though the code ran successfully without errors, I did not get the intended results.   It incremented the first observation's start date, and I need the first observation's start date to remain unchanged.  I am not certain how to proceed.  Any assistance would be appreciated.  I am using SAS9.4.  

data have.PNGdata want.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
A_Kh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

We can use OUTPUT statement to read the initial records, then DO LOOPS with shifting function INTNX to increment AGE and YEAR by 1 adding an extra observation for each year:

data want; 
	set have;
	output; 
	do i=Year(startdate) to year(enddate)-1 by 1;
		startdate=intnx('year', startdate, 1, 'same');
		age+1;
		output;
	end;
	drop i; 
run; 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
A_Kh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

We can use OUTPUT statement to read the initial records, then DO LOOPS with shifting function INTNX to increment AGE and YEAR by 1 adding an extra observation for each year:

data want; 
	set have;
	output; 
	do i=Year(startdate) to year(enddate)-1 by 1;
		startdate=intnx('year', startdate, 1, 'same');
		age+1;
		output;
	end;
	drop i; 
run; 

ballardw
Super User

Pretty trivial if you add a new variable.

Note: if you can't provide example data in the form of a working data step, see below, at least provide it as text pasted into a text box opened on the forum with the </> icon. Most of us are not going to retype any significant amount of stuff from a picture.

data work.have;
   input id dob :mmddyy10. startdate :mmddyy10. enddate :mmddyy10.;
   format dob startdate enddate mmddyy10.;
datalines;
100  4/4/1968 2/12/2003 5/9/2007
200 1/29/1944 8/19/2009 9/16/2011
300 5/16/1977 3/3/2001 5/9/2007
;

data work.want;
   set work.have;
   intervalstart=startdate;
   do until (intervalstart > enddate);
         output;
         intervalstart=intnx('year',intervalstart,1,'S');
   end;
   format intervalstart mmddyy10.;
run;

An exercise for the interested reader where to increment the "age".

Personally i want to know which "date" an age is calculated for.

@SAStastic_Day wrote:

Hello, 

I am trying to figure out how to expand a dataset by creating a new row for each year between a start date and end date and find the age the person is at each year between those 2 dates.  I have tried a couple of things without success. 

I have tried to modify this code: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47428867/how-to-create-additional-rows-for-each-day-between-two-...Though the code ran successfully without errors, I did not get the intended results.   It incremented the first observation's start date, and I need the first observation's start date to remain unchanged.  I am not certain how to proceed.  Any assistance would be appreciated.  I am using SAS9.4.  

data have.PNGdata want.PNG

SAStastic_Day
Calcite | Level 5

@ballardw Thank you for the tip.  I did not know this.  Thank you for re-writing the code as well.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation