BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ChuksManuel
Pyrite | Level 9

Can anyone help me review this code? I'm trying to create a composite variable (abuse) but also to create a situation where any missing value across the 5 variables is coded as missing in the new composite variable.

if ace_swear =1 or ace_hurt=1 or ace_touch=1 or ace_tthem=1 or ace_sex=1 
then abuse=1;
if ace_swear =. and ace_hurt=. and ace_touch=. and ace_tthem=. and ace_sex=. 
then abuse=.;
else abuse=0;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

You missed an else.

then abuse=1;
ELSE if ace_swear =. and ace_hurt=. and ace_touch=. and ace_tthem=. and ace_sex=. 
then abuse=.;
else abuse=0;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Your question is deficient. It doesn't say what the desired output is if there are no missings. (It does say what should happen if there are missings)

SAS is the best "person" to review the code. Run it on sample data and see if it gives the expected output.

--
Paige Miller
ChuksManuel
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

It's not giving me any error. It's however not giving me what i want. I want the new variable created "abuse" to have 0,1 and missing. With "abuse" called to missing if an observation has missing in all the 5 composite variables. I will appreciate if you can refer me to materials to help me figure this out. I know i'm just missing a small piece of code.

ChuksManuel_0-1684344580245.png

Reeza
Super User

You missed an else.

then abuse=1;
ELSE if ace_swear =. and ace_hurt=. and ace_touch=. and ace_tthem=. and ace_sex=. 
then abuse=.;
else abuse=0;
ChuksManuel
Pyrite | Level 9
Thanks!
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@ChuksManuel wrote:

Hello,

It's not giving me any error. It's however not giving me what i want. I want the new variable created "abuse" to have 0,1 and missing. With "abuse" called to missing if an observation has missing in all the 5 composite variables. I will appreciate if you can refer me to materials to help me figure this out. I know i'm just missing a small piece of code.

ChuksManuel_0-1684344580245.png

Sounds like you don't need IF/THEN at all.  Just use MAX() function.

abuse = max( of ace_swear ace_hurt ace_touch ace_tthem ace_sex);

Let's test the idea by making some data that covers all possible combinations of two variables with 0,1 or . as possible values.

data test;
do x=.,0,1; do y=.,0,1; 
  want=max(of x y);
  output;
end; end; 
run;

Result

Obs    x    y    want

1     .    .      .
 2     .    0      0
 3     .    1      1
 4     0    .      0
 5     0    0      0
 6     0    1      1
 7     1    .      1
 8     1    0      1
 9     1    1      1

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation