BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
stataq
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I tried to build multiple tables which always have 'Label' col and COLX, which x is non repeated number select from 1 to 99.

Is it a way I can always recorder or output my outputs use 'Label' as 1st col and COLs in the order from small number to 99?

Currently my outputs are always in a random col order. Any suggest or macro that can solve this?

For example: my output contain following cols:

DS1:

'Label', 'COL1', 'COL7', 'COL8', 'COL11', 'COL99'

DS2:

'COL7', 'COL1', 'COL88', 'COL99', COL1', 'Label'.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The simplest way to reorder the variables is to take advantage of the fact that the RETAIN statement places the variables into the dataset, but does not define a type for them (unless you include an initial value in the RETAIN statement).

data want;
  retain label col1 col47 col99 ;
  set have;
run;

If you want to automate that then find a rule that sets the order of the columns in the way you want.  For your example I might be tempted to do something like:

proc contents data=have noprint out=contents; run;
proc sql noprint;
  select nliteral(name) into :varlist separated by ' '
  from contents
  ;
quit;
data want;
  retain label col1-col99;
  set have;
  keep &varlist;
run;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

More explanation is needed. How are you going to do this "output"? What SAS PROC or other SAS command is going to produce this "output"? Is this "output" a SAS data set or a printed report or something else?

--
Paige Miller
stataq
Quartz | Level 8
Maybe just output another dataset that contain correct col order?
data ds1_update;
set ds1;
Run;
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@stataq wrote:
Maybe just output another dataset that contain correct col order?
data ds1_update;
set ds1;
Run;

Seems pointless to me to re-arrange columns within a data set. What is the reason you want this? How would this help?

--
Paige Miller
stataq
Quartz | Level 8

I hope to achieve a status that my outputs are organized in a good col order as a dataset. when I need to output them in file, I can directly use them without reorder the cols.  Maybe also easier for me to review the results when I just look at the dataset without proc print step. might be silly but make sense to me.😅

mkeintz
PROC Star

@PaigeMiller wrote:
Seems pointless to me to re-arrange columns within a data set. What is the reason you want this? How would this help?

I often do pay attention to establishing column order, for two reasons:

1. To examine the data with a data set viewer

2. In anticipation of using the double-dash technique for generating a variable list.  Say I have a dataset with (from left to right), an ID, some demographic variables, some financial variables, some education variables.  I often find myself using expressions like
               leftmost_demographic_variable -- rightmost_demographic_var
    to save a lot of typing where a list of variables would otherwise need to be explicitly typed.
--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The simplest way to reorder the variables is to take advantage of the fact that the RETAIN statement places the variables into the dataset, but does not define a type for them (unless you include an initial value in the RETAIN statement).

data want;
  retain label col1 col47 col99 ;
  set have;
run;

If you want to automate that then find a rule that sets the order of the columns in the way you want.  For your example I might be tempted to do something like:

proc contents data=have noprint out=contents; run;
proc sql noprint;
  select nliteral(name) into :varlist separated by ' '
  from contents
  ;
quit;
data want;
  retain label col1-col99;
  set have;
  keep &varlist;
run;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation