quit;

%put &rate1 &rate2 ;

data want ;
set main ;
var1=symgetn("rate1")*1 ;
var2=symgetn("rate2")*1.5 ;
var3=symgetn("rate3")*2 ;
run;

I have one dataset like main in that only two id's there in future may be 3 id's there so I created 3 macro variables next I wrote

One calculation I got var1 ,var2 results however for var3 I am getting error log window how to ignore that error.

3 REPLIES 3
geoskiad
Fluorite | Level 6

You could also consider defining "rate3" as a null macro variable at an earlier step. This should resolve the issue. If ID 103 is available "rate3" will be reassigned at the PROC SQL step.

In this case you will get an empty VAR3 variable in data WANT even if ID 103 does not exist (not sure if you want that).

Note that you will need to check for missing rate3 value before deriving VAR3 to keep your code (completely) clean. Otherwise you will get a note for missing values.

/*Include this before proc sql step*/
%let rate3 = ;
/*update derivation of var3 to check for missing*/ if symgetn("rate3") ne . then var3=symgetn("rate3")*2 ;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The reason you are not seeing the macro variables is that the SELECT ... INTO ... process of SQL does NOT create macro variables when no observations are selected.  The easiest solution is just to set the macro variables to some default value before running the query.

%let rate1=;
%let rate2=;
%let rate3=;
proc sql NOPRINT;
select score into :rate1-
  from main 
  where id in (101:103)
  order by id
;
quit;

But it might just be better to not use macro variables at all.  Instead keep the values in dataset variables instead.

proc transpose data=main out=rates(drop=_name_) prefix=var ;
  var score ;
run;

data want ;
  set main ;
  if _n_=1 then set rates;
run;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation