BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
8 REPLIES 8
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Please supply example data against which we can test code. See my footnotes for hints about posting data and code.

If this is some kind of homework, you should be able to solve the problem yourself, if your teacher is worth the money.

thanikondharish
Calcite | Level 5
no one ask this question. i got answer by using data step block but i want
in proc sql
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Again, please present a full question, with text in the body of the post.  Present test data in the form of a datastep, and show what you want as output.  

If you have the answer as datastep, please clarify the need for sql.  It is a far simpler problem in datastep, than in sql.

PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you already have a working data step solution, why do you want to do it in PROC SQL?

Ksharp
Super User

SQL is not right tool to do it .

data have;
 set sashelp.class;
 score=weight;
 keep sex score;
run;
proc sql;
create table want as
 select *
  from (
select * from have group by sex having score ne max(score)
)
group by sex
 having score=max(score);
quit;
hashman
Ammonite | Level 13

Ksharp,

I agree it's not a right tool. But your SQL code still gets there - under two conditions. First, unless the specs say "I want all the records with the second highest score", a DISTINCT would be needed in the outer query to weed out possible ties. Second, if a key group has but a single record, your code will filter it out. Again, it may be just what's required, but a different set of specs may say that it should be in the output. In this case, a good SQL head may still be able to adjust for it at the expense of more convoluted code, but then it would only reinforce your point about choosing an appropriate tool.  

Best

Paul D.

Ksharp
Super User
data have;
 set sashelp.class;
 score=weight;
 keep sex score;
run;
proc sql;
create table want as
 select *,(select count(*) from (select distinct sex,score from have) 
where sex=a.sex and score>=a.score) as rank
  from have as a
   where calculated rank=2;
quit;
niloya
Fluorite | Level 6

@Ksharp  

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 7 in conversation