longwen
Calcite | Level 5

My data looks like:

ID  Start_day    End_day    

1 - 5/1/20 - 5/31/20
1 - 6/6/20 - 7/5/20
1 - 7/8/20 - 8/7/20
1 - 9/9/20-10/8/20

I am trying to first calculate the gap between a person's last end day and the next start day. e.g. for person 1, the gap should be 6/6/20 - 5/31/30 =6 days (which I already calculated for each person successfully).

Then, I want to calculate the duration for a person if he/she has no gap > 30 days. e.g. person 1 has gap > 30 days at the 4th row, so the duration should be 8/7/20 minus 5/1/20 (99 days).

Plus,  a person could have multiple durations if he/she has more than one gap (>30 days). e.g. A person could have first duration on 5/1/10 - 5/1/11. Then, he/she have a gap of, for example, 180 days and he/she start another period 11/1/2011 - 1/31/11 and then they could have another gap of > 30 days. Then they could start a third period.

The duration calculation is what I am struggling with.
Any suggestion?
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
biopharma
Quartz | Level 8
Can you add a few IDs or more rows for the same ID with examples of multiple durations. Present other situations that could be more complex etc..
ballardw
Super User

Question: are your start_day and end_day actually SAS date values?

You will in the long run save yourself a lot of headaches later if you get into the habit of using 4 digit years for display (unless of course you have a dinosaur-like boss that requires 2 digit years).

Quick, tell me what the date is in words for 01/02/03.

Without more information you might even get the wrong century.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation