BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sas_student1
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

I have a record tracking patient data that is collected on a daily basis, Monday through Friday. The tracking data collects number of new patients on a daily basis. I have a date column along with number of patients. What I want to do is if the date column is todays date (so (today()) then sum the patient numbers by clients and mark them as new patients (new_pts). I want to run this every morning but grabbing the data from the night before (I have this running on a task scheduler), the issue is two fold , (1) how do I run this so it that the date column is today() -1  and (2) when I am running the data on Monday morning I need it to identify the new patients from Friday so today()-1 wont work. In the below example lets pretend that today is May 3 2021.

I have below a sample code of what I have already, but how to accomplish the two issues above?

data have;
informat client 2. date mmddyy10. no_pts 1.;
input client date no_pts;
format date mmddyy10.;
datalines;
1	04122021 1
2	04132021 1
3	04142021 2
4	04152021 2
5	04162021 0
6	04172021 1
7	04182021 1
8	04192021 1
9	05032021 1
9	05032021 1
11	05032021 1
;
run;

proc sql;
create table want as
select distinct client, 
case when date=today() then sum(no_pts) else 0 end as new_pts,
sum(no_pts) as all_pts
from have
group by client;
quit;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

Instead of

today()-1

you can use

intnx('weekday',today(),-1)

which will generate the same value as today()-1 for Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.  But for Mondays it will generate the date of the prior Friday.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mkeintz
PROC Star

Instead of

today()-1

you can use

which will generate the same value as today()-1 for Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.  But for Mondays it will generate the date of the prior Friday.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for

sas_student1
Quartz | Level 8

@mkeintz  Ah! thanks! simple solution!

I have another issue that I hope you are able to assist in this thread. It is kind of related.

In the same data run I am creating a proc report that I ODS export, I have a title that currently reads as follows:

title2 j=l h=11pt color=black font='Calibri'
"^{style[fontweight=bold color=black] Date Complete: %sysfunc(date(),mmddyy10.)}";

The above takes todays date and populates as date complete. How would I change the above so it would take yesterdays date and if yesterday date is a Sunday it would populate Fridays date instead? I thought adding the 'weekday' may work but it didn't. 

Thanks!

mkeintz
PROC Star

You can take the original expression

and embed each function call in %sysfunc, as in

%sysfunc(intnx(weekday,%sysfunc(date()),-1),mmddyy10.);

sas_student1
Quartz | Level 8
wow! an easy solution! I was trying to add the original function within in the %sysfunc but didn't realize that I need to also change the today() and remove the quotes.

Thank you!!!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation