BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tri_h
Fluorite | Level 6

data ex1;
input var1 $ var2 $ var3 $;
cards;
%a b f
b %c d
%g f i
;
run;

what i want is MACRvar=%a|%c|%g, i know the transpose+sort nodupkey could achieve this, how to achieve this with a data step like, data _null_; set ex1... i might thought take use of retain, array...

thanks for your helping.

thanks for helping

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

To avoid duplicates, compare the candidate word with the current set of concatenated values using the FINDW function, which returns a 0 if the candidate is not found as a "word" in the concatenation.  "word" here means strings separated by '|':

data ex1;
cards;
%a b f
b %c d
%g f %c
run;

data _null_;
  set ex1 end=end_of_ex;
  length mv $24;
  retain mv ;
  if var1=:'%' and findw(mv,trim(var1),'|')=0 then mv=catx('|',mv,var1);
  if var2=:'%' and findw(mv,trim(var2),'|')=0 then mv=catx('|',mv,var2);
  if var3=:'%' and findw(mv,trim(var3),'|')=0 then mv=catx('|',mv,var3);
  if end_of_ex;
  call symput('mvar',mv);
run;

%put %superq(mvar);

Now it's getting busy enough that you'll want to use an array of var1 & var2 & var3, and program a loop.  Note the 2nd argument of the findw function is not var1, but trim(var1) - otherwise any trailing blanks in var1 will be included in the search for a matching string in the MV variable.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mkeintz
PROC Star

Declare your new variable (call it mv) as a character variable with a length you know is sufficient.  Then:

data ex1;
cards;
%a b f
b %c d
%g f i
run;

data _null_;
  set ex1 end=end_of_ex;
  length mv $24;
  retain mv ;
  if var1=:'%' then mv=catx('|',mv,var1);
  if var2=:'%' then mv=catx('|',mv,var2);
  if var3=:'%' then mv=catx('|',mv,var3);
  if end_of_ex;
  call symput('mvar',mv);
run;

%put %superq(mvar);

I leave it to you to construct the array and corresponding loop.  Just note that the "=:" comparison operator is a convenient way to find values starting with a % sign.

Note I used the %superq function in the %put statement, because otherwise I would have to use the macrovar &mvar (instead of mvar in the superq function).  This would cause the macro interpreter to attempt to resolve the %a%c%g and generate messages like "WARNING: Apparent invocation of macro A not resolved."

There may be a macro function such that I could use

%put %somefunction(&mvar)

without messages generated, but I am unaware of it.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for

tri_h
Fluorite | Level 6
Sorry, The sample data isn't typical enough, think about:
data ex1;
cards;
%a b f
b %c d
%g f %c
run;
there's a repeat ‘%c’, and i want to store it once...
mkeintz
PROC Star

While we're at it, what order do you want to concatenate the desired values?  Order of appearance?  Alphabetical?

tri_h
Fluorite | Level 6
Order of appearance would be better, i had tried an index function before the catx like:
if index(mv, arrayVARs)=0 then mv=catx('|', mv, arrayVARs), but it still add '%c' tiwce.
mkeintz
PROC Star

To avoid duplicates, compare the candidate word with the current set of concatenated values using the FINDW function, which returns a 0 if the candidate is not found as a "word" in the concatenation.  "word" here means strings separated by '|':

data ex1;
cards;
%a b f
b %c d
%g f %c
run;

data _null_;
  set ex1 end=end_of_ex;
  length mv $24;
  retain mv ;
  if var1=:'%' and findw(mv,trim(var1),'|')=0 then mv=catx('|',mv,var1);
  if var2=:'%' and findw(mv,trim(var2),'|')=0 then mv=catx('|',mv,var2);
  if var3=:'%' and findw(mv,trim(var3),'|')=0 then mv=catx('|',mv,var3);
  if end_of_ex;
  call symput('mvar',mv);
run;

%put %superq(mvar);

Now it's getting busy enough that you'll want to use an array of var1 & var2 & var3, and program a loop.  Note the 2nd argument of the findw function is not var1, but trim(var1) - otherwise any trailing blanks in var1 will be included in the search for a matching string in the MV variable.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation