BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
nickspencer
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi all,

I have the below portion of the code which works perfectly fine but when I put the whole code inside another macro it fails. The section of the code looks like this.

%macro check_duplicate;
%global dup_list;
if &dup_list= %then %do;
%let dup_list=‘99999’;
%end;
%mend check_duplicate;

%check_duplicate;

This above section was working fine on my code but then I had to make some changes and put the whole code inside another macro and I am getting this error.

ERROR: Attempt to %GLOBAL a name (DUP_LIST) which exists in a local environment.

How can I handle this error without making much changes to the structure of the code.

Any suggestions or ideas will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

6 REPLIES 6
Astounding
PROC Star

The problem is with the "other" macro that calls this macro.

That other macro is creating a local macro variable named DUP_LIST.  Change the other macro so that it creates DUP_LIST as a global macro variable.

nickspencer
Obsidian | Level 7
@Astounding I don’t think I understand when you say change other macro to create dup_list. Do you mean having the %global dup_list outside this check duplicate macro?
Astounding
PROC Star

That's an easy way.

The variable is somehow getting created by the "other" macro as well.  So putting the %global statement outside of all macros should take care of the problem.  Alternatively, you could search for other code that also creates DUP_LIST.  But stick with the easy way if that sounds appropriate (add the %GLOBAL statement before running any macros).

Reeza
Super User

@nickspencer wrote:

This above section was working fine on my code but then I had to make some changes and put the whole code inside another macro and I am getting this error.

Are you saying you embedded your macro definitions? That's never a good idea.

%macro firstMacro ();

%macro secondMacro();

%mend secondMacro;

%mend firstMacro;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You cannot use %GLOBAL to define a macro variable in the GLOBAL scope if there is already a macro variable in another (local) scope with that same name.

Why do you want to make that macro variable as global to begin with?  Is so the macro can return a value to the caller?  Then just run the %GLOBAL statement when it is needed.

%if not %symexist(dup_list) %then %global dup_list;

If you are just using the macro variable as INPUT to the macro and it doesn't exist then just make a local macro variable instead. No use cluttering the global scope with unneeded macro variables, that is how you got into this trouble to begin with.

%if not %symexist(dup_list) %then %local dup_list;
ballardw
Super User

Here's an idea: Provide the entire code of both macros.

That will help us avoid a lot of "if you did this then …" guesses.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation