BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Dhana18
Obsidian | Level 7

Good morning, 

My data has this variable AZI_MIC_DD in character format and and length is $21, i need it to be in numeric and in length 8.

i used this coded

DATA Marchsub.Lab1718_A(DROP=DOB_LAB);
SET Marchsub.Lab1718;

AZIMIC_DD =INPUT(AZI_MIC_DD, BEST12.);
DROP AZI_MIC_DD;
RENAME AZIMIC_DD=AZI_MIC_DD;
RUN;

Is there anything wrong with this code?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@Dhana18 wrote:
so after i ma done fixing the length and the format i need to match with the master provided using this code
options nofmterr;
data marchsub.MIL_lab_2018_YE;;
set mstruct.master_lab Marchsub.Lab1718_C;
run;
after i used this code, values in the variables AZI_MIC_DD changes from 0.125 to 0. which is
inaccurate

The set statement above is use the properties of variables as defined in the mstruct.master_lab data set. So if the format for a variable is set not to display any decimal portion in the first set it by default does not appear after the data is appended.

data work.set1;
   input x;
   format x f3.;
datalines;
;
run;
data work.set2;
   input x;
   format x best12.;
datalines;
;
run;

data work.example;
   set work.set1 work.set2;
run;

Which by default will show the decimals from work.set2 as 0 because of the now default format of F3.

However, unless you have done something explicitly to the values the value did not change. You just need to set the format to display enough decimals. F18.12 and others would also show more digits.

proc print data=work.example;
   format x best18.;
run;

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Do you get errors when you run the code? If so, please show us the entire SAS log, pasted into the window that appears when you click on the {i} icon.

Is the result not what you expect? Please explain, show us a portion of the input data and the output.

--
Paige Miller
Dhana18
Obsidian | Level 7

NOTE: There were 6642 observations read from the data set MARCHSUB.LAB1718_B.
NOTE: The data set MARCHSUB.LAB1718_C has 6642 observations and 29 variables.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
real time 0.20 seconds
cpu time 0.09 seconds
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Dhana18 wrote:

real time 0.20 seconds
cpu time 0.09 seconds

This would indicate that the program worked properly!

--
Paige Miller
Dhana18
Obsidian | Level 7
so after i ma done fixing the length and the format i need to match with the master provided using this code
options nofmterr;
run;
after i used this code, values in the variables AZI_MIC_DD changes from 0.125 to 0. which is
inaccurate

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Dhana18 wrote:
options nofmterr;
run;
inaccurate

Then you need to supply example data in a form that leaves no room for ambiguities (data step with datalines).

Dhana18
Obsidian | Level 7
Can you explain to me please I did not understand what you are saying
Then you need to supply example data in a form that leaves no room for ambiguities (data step with datalines).
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Dhana18 wrote:
Can you explain to me please I did not understand what you are saying

@ballardw has just given you examples for this. Creation of made-up data by using datasteps with datalines is an essential SAS skill IMO.

ballardw
Super User

@Dhana18 wrote:
options nofmterr;
run;
inaccurate

The set statement above is use the properties of variables as defined in the mstruct.master_lab data set. So if the format for a variable is set not to display any decimal portion in the first set it by default does not appear after the data is appended.

data work.set1;
   input x;
   format x f3.;
datalines;
;
run;
data work.set2;
   input x;
   format x best12.;
datalines;
;
run;

data work.example;
   set work.set1 work.set2;
run;

Which by default will show the decimals from work.set2 as 0 because of the now default format of F3.

However, unless you have done something explicitly to the values the value did not change. You just need to set the format to display enough decimals. F18.12 and others would also show more digits.

proc print data=work.example;
   format x best18.;
run;

Dhana18
Obsidian | Level 7
Thank you! you made my day.
Dhana18
Obsidian | Level 7
the for mat has to be like this F_AZIMIC_DD.
ballardw
Super User

@Dhana18 wrote:
the for mat has to be like this F_AZIMIC_DD.

You need to provide the PROC Format code that defines the format if that is a custom format.

If you want to show decimals and the current format does not allow that then you need to modify the format or bring the problem to whoever created or indicated that format needs to be used.

If you only need to display the decimals when the integer portion of the value is between 0 and 1 that may be a range definition issue in the proc format code.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The ultimate judgement will always be a test. So apply Maxim 4.

What strikes me is that you said the character variable has a length of 21, but you only use a 12-character informat. Why don't you use best21.?

Dhana18
Obsidian | Level 7
I used length 21 but no change in the result. the log says this

real time 0.20 seconds
cpu time 0.09 seconds
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Nothing major.  I only see two issues. Only the first one might cause issues as it might generate the wrong number from long strings since it will only read the first 12 characters.

1. The width of your informat is shorter than what you said was the length of the character variable.
  2. There is no BEST informat. Concept doesn't even make sense.  But SAS will just treat it as an alias for the normal numeric informat.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation