BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
chelseah
Fluorite | Level 6

I've searched the sas community and have tried changing the format of my where statement and can't figure out why sas won't recognize the rows with the date '201801'. I'm a beginner coder and suspect its my lack of fully understanding date formats that is creating the problem. 

So I have a date variable 'dob' which is formatted mm/dd/yyyy. I create a new variable 'birthmo' from the dob variable to create a date with the format yyyymm. The variable is created correctly (or so I think) and when I do a frequency on birthmo it shows 44k occurences of 201801. But when I try and filter the data using 'where birthmo = '201801'd;' I get this error:

ERROR: Invalid date/time/datetime constant '201801'd.
ERROR: Syntax error while parsing WHERE clause.

Or if I change the code to read 'where birthmo = 201801;' it comes up with an empty dataset. 

CODE:

data cohort ;
set m.mpcf_201801 m.mpcf_201802 m.mpcf_201803;
birthmo = dob;
FORMAT birthmo yymmn6.;
run;

data cohort2;
set cohort;
where birthmo = '201801'd;
run;

Sample DATA:

individual iddob
134510/20/2015
3153456/5/2018
4659/28/2010
113541/1/2018
13411/23/2018
3521/24/2018
46522/8/2013
4355/14/2009
1221/18/2018
12536/19/2004
4637/10/2016
789861/22/2018
251231/2/2012

Thank you for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Correcting your Where statement(methinks the following should do)

where put(birthmo,yymmn6. -l) = '201801';

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Correcting your Where statement(methinks the following should do)

where put(birthmo,yymmn6. -l) = '201801';

chelseah
Fluorite | Level 6

It's like magic!  No need to create the birthmo variable either! Thank you!

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

@chelseah  That's right. While I am one extremely lazy person, please do pay attention to @mkeintz 's explanation of SAS dates that are merely numbers formatted for display while internal stored value is in tact. 🙂

chelseah
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes, I have taken trainings regarding dates and I realize how they are stored, but for some reason I can't seem to apply that knowledge to writing code. Once I think I understand, I come across a problem, like today. I'll keep trying to consume the literature and hopefully it will click one day.

ballardw
Super User

Literal values must be in DATE9 or DATE7 appearance:

'01JAN2019'D or '01JAN19'd , a syntax rule because there are so many random collections of digits masquerading as dates. Did you that today , 8 Nov 2019 could be 2019312? or even worse 19312?

AND they must be a complete date, day month and year.

Or explicitly use the formatted value

Where put(birthmo,yymmn6.) = '201810';

mkeintz
PROC Star

Using the

'xxxxxxx'd   or "xxxxxxx"d

is the SAS convention for specifying a date literal   (like 5 is a numeric literal and "abc" is a character literal).

But there is only one format allowed in a date literal.  In your case you would want

where '01jan2010'd <= dob <='31jan2010'd;

The important thing to understand is that is doesn't matter at all what the format of DOB is - the underlying numeric value (number of days after 01jan1060) is the same - it's just displayed differently according to the assigned format of DOB.  So specifying the date-literals in the where statement as I have merely inserts the number of days after jan 1, 1960  that represent the dates 01jan2010 and 31jan2010.

You could also have

where year(dob)=2018 and month(dob)=1;

which may be much more intuitive, but requires executing two functions for every observation.  Using the date literal bounds requires no such overhead - the actual numeric values are inserted once and for all when your program is being compiled, prior to execution.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation