BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Julie99999
Obsidian | Level 7

HI SAS community,

I have this peculiar running error that states "failure to transcode" while I attempted to run SAS on one go. I tried run my SAS code block by block and it run successfully. 

I probably introduced some non-English character. 

Anyone know how to fix this without going through my code line by line, which is 2000 lines? 

Is there any "encoding= " option I can use that solves this problem?

TIA!!!!

Error: Integration technologies failed to submit the code. [Error] Failed to transcode data from U_UTF8_CE to U_LATIN1_CE encoding because it contained characters which are not supported by your SAS session encoding. Please review your encoding= and locale= SAS system options to ensure that they can accommodate the data that you want to process. A portion of the source string, in hex representation is:
[None] 2b8b496b1b24: 3b 2a 27 3b 2a 22 3b 2a 2f 3b 71 75 69 74 3b 72 |;*';*";*/;quit;r|
[None] 2b8b496b1b34: 75 6e 3b 0d 0a 4f 50 54 49 4f 4e 53 20 50 41 47 |un;..OPTIONS PAG|
[Error] Some code points did not transcode.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Curious that it works when run in portions. 

You could copy/paste your code into Notepad++ and then use under menu Search the last entry in the list "Find characters in range...."

Patrick_0-1661559264732.png

If your code is dynamic then it could of course be the data used to generate the SAS code that contains a non-ascii character.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Curious that it works when run in portions. 

You could copy/paste your code into Notepad++ and then use under menu Search the last entry in the list "Find characters in range...."

Patrick_0-1661559264732.png

If your code is dynamic then it could of course be the data used to generate the SAS code that contains a non-ascii character.

Julie99999
Obsidian | Level 7
thank you so much!!!!!! it worked!!!!!
I was going to manually check line by line and your trick nailed it. I was able to find the non-ascii using the way you suggested. problem solved in 10 seconds literally!!!
thanks a ton
Ksharp
Super User
It looks like you are using SAS/EG . T
alking to your SAS Administrator to change your sas session into UTF-8 encoding .
if you are using Windows SAS ,check file sasv9.cfg .
if Unix/AIX/Linux SAS, check file sasenvlocal .
Julie99999
Obsidian | Level 7
thanks a lot Ksharp for your reply!!! I'm using SAS/EG
Ksharp
Super User
Yeah . Adding the following option in file " sasv9.cfg " and you could using sas with utf-8 encoding.

-encoding 'utf-8'

Also you could search it at support.sas.com and know more about how to change sas encoding .

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation