BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jody_H
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm trying to consolidate some code. Currently, I have:

For group X:

PROC  SQL;

select Var_A, Var_B, Var_C

from mytable;

For group Y:

Proc SQL;

Select Var_A, Var_C, Var_D

from mytable;

is there a way to say;

Proc SQL;

Select [variables contingent on group]

from mytable;

FYI-using SAS EG 7.15 with connection to Hadoop data.

My actual data has 50 groups and over 100 variables, so I'd like to make this as dynamic as possible. The key point is I don't want all of my variables for all of my groups. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Jody_H wrote:

I was hoping to avoid coding a list of variables for each group. I was thinking I could have a table of variables and groups and passing information into the SQL, but wasn't sure how to pass that information into the SQL.

If, for example, you have a text file that shows all 50 groups, and the variables needed from each group, then yes this could be made dynamic. Your read the text file into a SAS data set first. Then, it would either require a macro or CALL EXECUTE.

Here is a macro solution, where the input text file has the group number separated by a space and then all the desired variable name(s), separated by space(s). I use data set ABC to hold this text information.

data abc;
    infile cards truncover;
    input string $200.;
cards;
1 temperature wind rain
18 homerun single  double triple
;

data _null_;
    set abc end=eof;
    string=compbl(string);
    group=scan(string,1);
    call symputx('group'||left(_n_),cats('group',group));
    call symputx('text'||left(_n_),translate(trim(left(substr(string,length(group)+1))),',',' '));
    if eof then call symputx('nrows',_n_);
run;

%macro dothis;
proc sql;
    %do i=1 %to &nrows;
        create table &&group&i as select &&text&i from yourdatabase;
    %end;
quit;
%mend;

options mprint;
%dothis
options nomprint;

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Is group some variable in the dataset/database?

How would someone writing this code know what variables are to be extracted for each group? (We can't give you dynamic code based on your two groups shown)

What is the desired output? One SAS data set, many SAS data sets, or printed/html results?

--
Paige Miller
Jody_H
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes, group is a variable in the dataset.

The goal is separate datasets for each group with the appropriate variables in each group.

Thanks for the responses so far, based on the number of groups and number of variables, I was hoping to avoid coding a list of variables for each group. I was thinking I could have a table of variables and groups and passing information into the SQL, but wasn't sure how to pass that information into the SQL.

noling
SAS Employee

At some point you or a system will have to specify which variables are in which groups. You could have this process be driven by a csv file or other flat file - 1 record per group with each field holding a variable in that group. This would help maintain your groups for changes. Read that csv file into SAS, then dynamically create the group macro variables each containing their list of fields. Then pass those group macro variables into your sql query.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Jody_H wrote:

I was hoping to avoid coding a list of variables for each group. I was thinking I could have a table of variables and groups and passing information into the SQL, but wasn't sure how to pass that information into the SQL.

If, for example, you have a text file that shows all 50 groups, and the variables needed from each group, then yes this could be made dynamic. Your read the text file into a SAS data set first. Then, it would either require a macro or CALL EXECUTE.

Here is a macro solution, where the input text file has the group number separated by a space and then all the desired variable name(s), separated by space(s). I use data set ABC to hold this text information.

data abc;
    infile cards truncover;
    input string $200.;
cards;
1 temperature wind rain
18 homerun single  double triple
;

data _null_;
    set abc end=eof;
    string=compbl(string);
    group=scan(string,1);
    call symputx('group'||left(_n_),cats('group',group));
    call symputx('text'||left(_n_),translate(trim(left(substr(string,length(group)+1))),',',' '));
    if eof then call symputx('nrows',_n_);
run;

%macro dothis;
proc sql;
    %do i=1 %to &nrows;
        create table &&group&i as select &&text&i from yourdatabase;
    %end;
quit;
%mend;

options mprint;
%dothis
options nomprint;

--
Paige Miller
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Do you need something more "dynamic" than CASE WHEN expressions?

PG
noling
SAS Employee

You could do something like this:

1. Create a macro variable for each group
    1. Using numbers instead of letters makes it easier to iterate
  2. Use a %do loop to run all your sql queries sequentially

You would somehow need to get your variables into their group lists. Copy/paste from excel?

%let group1=Var_A, Var_B, Var_C;
%let group2=Var_A, Var_C, Var_D;
/*...*/

%let table=mytable;
%let num_groups=2;

%macro loop;
	proc sql;
		%do i = 1 %to &num_groups;
			select &&group&i
			from &table;
		%end;
	quit;

%mend;
%loop

*testing;
%let group1=make, model;
%let group2=make, type;
%let table=sashelp.cars;
%let num_groups=2;
%loop

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation