BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Angela53
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a historical dataset organized by "sys," "id" and "y" (year). Each sys/id has a history length varying from 1 to 18 years. I merged variable "count" from proc freq, by sys, tables id. "count" must be read into several  %do commands in several macros, either like this:

%do i= 1 %to &s, where &s=(count-1) or &s=count, depending on the calculation being done.

Below is a tiny test data set with analogous structure, plus the first macro of a long series of calculations, all done for each sys/id block of "count" years.

Problem: how do I tell SAS to %do from 1 %to (count-1), where variable "count" is read from the data set and transferred to the macro?

Thanks.

data test; input sys $ ID $ y sub delta1 count;
cards;
a	x	1	9	.	18
a	x	2	9	0	18
a	x	3	8	-1	18
a	x	4	8	0	18
a	x	5	6	-2	18
a	x	6	5	-1	18
a	x	7	4	-1	18
a	x	8	3	-1	18
a	x	9	3	0	18
a	x	10	6	3	18
a	x	11	5	-1	18
a	x	12	4	-1	18
a	x	13	4	0	18
a	x	14	2	-2	18
a	x	15	2	0	18
a	x	16	1	-1	18
a	x	17	0	-1	18
a	x	18	0	0	18
a	y	1	7	.	2
a	y	2	7	0	2
b	z	1	5	.	15
b	z	2	3	-2	15
b	z	3	2	-1	15
b	z	4	9	7	15
b	z	5	9	0	15
b	z	6	9	0	15
b	z	7	8	-1	15
b	z	8	7	-1	15
b	z	9	6	-1	15
b	z	10	5	-1	15
b	z	11	6	1	15
b	z	12	6	0	15
b	z	13	5	-1	15
b	z	14	5	0	15
b	z	15	5	0	15
;
options mprint;
data a; set test; by sys ID y;
%let z=count; 
%macro lags(z);
%let s=%eval(&z.-1);
%do i=1 %to &s;
Lsub&i=lag&i(sub);
%end;
%mend;
%lags(z);run;/*CALL SYMPUT('z',PUT(count,BEST.));*/
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
5 REPLIES 5
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19
Do you have a working data-step without macro-code? If not: write that, then post it if you can't see what to change. If you want calculations for each by-group you don't need macro code at all.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The macro PREprocessor is for generating dynamic code, NOT for working with data.

Write this down a hundred times.

Could you please supply an example of your expected output? From your data structure, it looks like you want a simple transpose.

Astounding
PROC Star
Several items need attention. This task should not use macros when a DATA stop will do. And the lag function needs to execute on all observations to produce accurate results.

Let's assume you have examined the data ahead of time and know that the maximum COUNT is 18. Then:

Data a; set test; by sys ID y;

%macro lags;
%do i=1 to 18;
Lsub&i=lag&i(sub);
%end;
%mend;
%lags

Then go back and clean out any values that should be missing. For example,

Array lsub (18) ;
If count < 18 then do k= count + 1 to 18;
Call missing lsub(k);
end;

That's the idea although there is more work to do. You need to wipe out values at the start of each series. When a new SYS begins, LAG captures values that came from the previous SYS, for example.
s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

The way you define the macro variable will not work. The macro processing is done before the data step is executed, so the macro processor has no knowledge of the value of the datastep variable "Count".

I am not entirely sure what you want to do, but it seems to me that it is easier to use array processing. Is this something like what you want?

proc sql noprint;
  select max(count) into :max trimmed from test;
quit;

data a;
  set test;
  by sys ID y;
  array subs(*) 8 Lsub1-Lsub&max;
  retain Lsub1-Lsub&max;
  if first.ID then
    call missing(of subs(*));
  output;
  do _N_=2 to y;
    subs(_N_)=subs(_N_-1);
    end;
  Lsub1=sub;
run;
Angela53
Obsidian | Level 7

Worked perfectly, thanks! I

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation