BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
manthan
Fluorite | Level 6

hello, I wrote the following code to do logistic regression and obtain odds ratio for statin, diabetes meds,  blood pressure meds, antibiotics and cholesterol (output cholesterol where 1 = high 0 = low) and independent variables statin, bP meds, diabetes meds, antibiotics (1= received 0 = not received)

proc logistic data=work.import descending;
class statin (ref="0") diabetesMed (ref="0") bPmeds (ref="0") antibiotics (ref="0");
model cholesterol = statin diabetesmed bpmeds antibiotics;
run;

when I run the above logistic regression the odds ratio for BP meds is with the following 95% CI being (<0.001 and >999.999)..why is this happening?

<0.001<0.001>999.999

as a follow up I ran the same code above but limited the IV to just two : 

proc logistic data=work.import descending;
class statin (ref="0")   bPmeds (ref="0");
model cholesterol = statin bpmeds ;
run;

and the Odds ratio is : 

why is it different in both cases? Is it because the Top one is adjusted odds ratio with more variables? If that is the case why am I GETTIng <0.001 and >999.999. I also checked for missing values and its only 1 missing value in the frequencies analysis. 

thanks

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

Very wide confidence limits tend to indicate that the model chosen doesn't "predict" the dependent values very well.

Do you have any evidence from literature that Antibiotics should affect cholesterol?

And what happens to that smaller confidence interval when you remove the Bpmeds? Since statins are designed to control cholesterol, I have a sneaking suspicion you model(s) are introducing lots of random noise and in effect hiding the statin behavior.

Of course there are so many different antibiotic, diabetes and blood pressure medications I am not at all sure I would be modeling in frames of, I am guessing here, "subject is on/not one one or more of medication type".

Statins are at least sort of in a single group of related meds if I understand them at all.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Multi-collinearity can cause this. What is the correlation between your predictor variables?

--
Paige Miller

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation