BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
swimmy
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I need to create a new variable by extracting the day of the week (sunday to saturday) out of a datetime16. (DDMMMYY:00:00:00). Can somebody help me out?

5 REPLIES 5
Sathish_jammy
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
data have;
Date1 = '17mar85'd;
Word_day = put(Date1,DOWNAME.);
format Date1 datetime16.;
run;

I hope this will help you to get the expected result.

data want;
set have;
Word_day = put(Date_Column,DOWNAME.);
run;
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

It is always a good thing to provide data in usable form (a data step with datalines), so we have a clear picture what you're talking about.

DOWNAME expects a date value as argument. In SAS, dates and datetimes work on a different scale (count of days vs. count of seconds), so if you do have a SAS datetime, you need to extract the date with DATEPART first:

newvar = put(datepart(oldvar),downame.);
swimmy
Calcite | Level 5

Screenshot 2020-11-16 100728.jpgthis is what I did (3rd row) and in the results, there is only *****. I don't know what is wrong.

ballardw
Super User

Depending on how you are examining the data you have likely issues.

If the display width of a column in a table viewer is not wide enough then SAS will typically display *** until the column is made wide enough.

A second, and related issue, is that the "date" is treated as having a year past 9999 and none of the SAS display formats work with dates that far in the future.

A third possibility is if the variable JOUR already exists in your data then the format assigned to the JOUR variable does not like the value of putting the datepart.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I see no start_date in that screenshot.

Please post data in usable form (I will NOT repeat that request for a third time),

and post the complete log of your data step by copy/pasting it into a window opened with the </> button. Do not, I repeat NOT, post logs or code in pictures.

Use the "little running man" button right next to the </> for code.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation