BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
CJM8
Calcite | Level 5

Hello - 

I am using SAS EG 7.1.  I am trying to convert a date time field in my data set to date9. format and can't seem to crack it. My where clause has a condition like this:

AND t1.txn_reqst_dt BETWEEN &dateS and &dateE

The &dateS and &dateE variables have already been converted to date9. format when i declared my global variables, however, the txn_rqst_dt field is a date time stamp field that looks like this 04MAY2018:13:15:32.238000

This is the error i get:

76 AND datepart(t1.txn_reqst_dt) BETWEEN &dateS and &dateE
NOTE: Line generated by the macro variable "DATES".
76 01Jan2018
_______
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: !!, *, **, +, -, /, AND, ||.

ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

This is not a date in SAS:

01Jan2018

It's just a bunch of characters.  If you want to refer to a date, you would need to use:

"01Jan2018"d

So in your program that would translate to:

BETWEEN "&dateS"d and "&dateE"d

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Astounding
PROC Star

This is not a date in SAS:

01Jan2018

It's just a bunch of characters.  If you want to refer to a date, you would need to use:

"01Jan2018"d

So in your program that would translate to:

BETWEEN "&dateS"d and "&dateE"d

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@CJM8 wrote:

I am trying to convert a date time field in my data set to date9. format and can't seem to crack it. My where clause has a condition like this:

AND t1.txn_reqst_dt BETWEEN &dateS and &dateE

The &dateS and &dateE variables have already been converted to date9. format when i declared my global variables

Formatting your macro variables to have a date9. format (or any other date or datetime or time format) for use in a where clause, or for use in any comparison, is usually a mistake. Leave them as un-formatted SAS date (or datetime or time) values.

--
Paige Miller
CJM8
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your replies. I removed the global variables, since they weren't really necessary for this anyway...and replaced with a prompt. However, i still get the following error:

78 AND datepart(t1.txn_reqst_dt) BETWEEN '&dateS'd and '&dateE'd
ERROR: Invalid date/time/datetime constant '&dateS'd.
ERROR: Invalid date/time/datetime constant '&dateE'd.

Any other suggestions?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You need double quotes, not single quotes, as stated above by @Astounding 

Or just get rid of the formatting and get rid of the quotes.

--
Paige Miller
Astounding
PROC Star
You didn't use my suggestion. Change the single quotes to double quotes. Single quotes suppress all macro activity including resolution of macro variables.
CJM8
Calcite | Level 5

thank you everyone - this ran correctly! 

AND datepart(t1.txn_reqst_dt) BETWEEN "&dateS"d and "&dateE"d

I am going to make a copy of the 28 maxims and send to my team if you don't mind!

thanks again

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Passing date strings like 01Jan2018 in macro variables can still be used to check a transaction date-time, and your test would also work faster/better without the datepart() function
e.g.
t1.txn_reqst_dt BETWEEN "&dateS:0:0:0"dt and "&dateE:23:59:59.99"dt

Remember to use double quotes around macro vars you need expanded
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Peter_C wrote:
your test would also work faster/better without the datepart() function
e.g.
t1.txn_reqst_dt BETWEEN "&dateS:0:0:0"dt and "&dateE:23:59:59.99"dt

Wouldn't it work even faster/better without converting date/time values to formatted versions, and then having to "unformat" the date/time values in the WHERE clause via "&dateS:0:0:0"dt?

--
Paige Miller
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Compile time of vanishingly small order can be compared with runtime execution of the datepart() function

It really is a vanishingly small amount of time to compile a date or datetime constant. 

Reading SAS logs to decypher a problem is far easier to validate when a macro var resolves to a date string rather than a number of days or seconds.

That is why I always recommend using a date string and date constants, rather than a "number of days"   to represent a date in coding 

(Use a very different approach for data)

ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I agree with @Peter_C .  I prefer using date and datetime literals, as the log messages are clearer.  The one-off compile time conversion of the date or datetime literal to the equivalent internal value would be minuscule.

data have;
   do dt="01JAN2018:00:00:00"dt to "31DEC2018:23:59:59"dt;
      output;
   end;
   format dt datetime.;
run;

data _null_;
   start="01APR2018:00:00:00"dt;
   end="30APR2018:23:59:59"dt;
   call symputx("start1",start);
   call symputx("start2",put(start,datetime.));
   call symputx("end1",  end);
   call symputx("end2",  put(end,datetime.));
run;
%put &=start1 &=start2;
%put &=end1 &end2;

data want1;
   set have;
   where dt between &start1 and &end1;
run;

data want2;
   set have;
   where dt between "&start2"dt and "&end2"dt;
run;

I like the log messages in want2 better.

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation