BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
France
Quartz | Level 8

Dear all,

how can I create the date variable like No_of_cit200001,No_of_cit200002...No_of_cit200010,No_of_cit200011 through macro variable .

I use the following codes,

%macro  base_of_cit3;
   %local y;
   %do y=2000 %to 2010;

%local m;
   %do m=1 %to 12;
     PROC SQL;
        CREATE TABLE Step4.M_3cit&y.&m AS
         SELECT
           t_base.psn_name,
           COUNT(DISTINCT t_do.docdb_family_id) AS No_of_cit&y.&m
         FROM
           Pat_ori.Docdbfamiliescitations AS t_do
         JOIN Step3.M_2cit&y AS t_base ON t_do.cited_docdb_family_id=t_base.docdb_family_id_base
         JOIN Step1.appln_publn AS t_ap2 ON t_do.docdb_family_id=t_ap2.docdb_family_id
         WHERE month = &m
         AND t_ap2.publn_date <= intnx('year', t_base.earliest_publn_date,3) /*a 3-year moving window starting at the earliest publication date of a patent family */
        GROUP BY t_base.psn_name
        ORDER BY t_base.psn_name
;
QUIT;
   %end;     
   %end;

%mend base_of_cit3;   

%base_of_cit3;

/*Step3: merge and delete missing value at psn_name variable*/
DATA Step5.Number_of_cit_end;
MERGE Step4.M_3cit20: ;
BY psn_name;
IF psn_name='' THEN delete;
RUN;

/*Step4: replace ‘.’ with zero */
DATA RESULT.M_number_of_cit;
SET Step5.Number_of_cit_end;
ARRAY n{*} _numeric_; /* gets all numeric variables into array */
DO i=1 TO dim(n); /* Do for all elements */
IF n{i}=. then n{i}=0;
END;
DROP i;
RUN;

proc transpose data= RESULT.M_number_of_cit out=Step6.M_No_cit_t;
 by psn_name;
 var No_of_cit: ;
run;

and get the result like

TIM图片20180920111856.png

I want to get 

No_of_cit200001,
No_of_cit200002,
No_of_cit200003,
No_of_cit200010,
No_of_cit200011

for each psn_name.

Could you please give me some suggestions?

thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@France wrote:

Dear RW9,

Could you please provide suggestions about how to create variables like No_of_cit200001, No_of_cit200002..., No_of_cit200012. I can only get the variable like  No_of_cit200001, No_of_cit200002...,No_of_cit200012 by using following codes.

Allow me to give the same advice as @RW9.

This is generally a bad idea to split up the data by month and year. It should all go into a single data set, and from there the analyses can be performed using the proper BY statement in whatever PROC you plan to use.

Now that you have been given the same advice twice, please don't ignore it.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Does not make sense.  Please follow the guidance, post test data in the form of a datastep and then show what you want out from that test data.  From what I can make out of your post you simply want to count a variable by a by group:

proc means data=have;
  class psn_name;
  var ...;
  output out=want n=n;
run;

No need for splitting data up, and macro etc.

France
Quartz | Level 8

Dear RW9,

thanks for your reply.

Yes I'd like to count a variable by the group. I have counted the number of patents based on ballardw's suggestion. And now I need to count to count the number of patent citations, and I want to merge these two tables. However, while the date of the number of patents is 200001, the date of the number of patent citations is 20001. So I cannot merge them.

could you please give me some suggestions?

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Just convert one of them?  Its quite hard to code anything not knowing input test data or required output.

France
Quartz | Level 8

Dear RW9,

Could you please provide suggestions about how to create variables like No_of_cit200001, No_of_cit200002..., No_of_cit200012. I can only get the variable like  No_of_cit200001, No_of_cit200002...,No_of_cit200012 by using following codes.

%macro  base_of_cit3;
   %local y;
   %do y=2000 %to 2010;

%local m;
   %do m=1 %to 12;
     PROC SQL;
        CREATE TABLE Step4.M_3cit&y.&m AS
         SELECT
           t_base.psn_name,
           COUNT(DISTINCT t_do.docdb_family_id) AS No_of_cit&y.&m
         FROM
         JOIN Step3.M_2cit&y AS t_base ON t_do.cited_docdb_family_id=t_base.docdb_family_id_base
         WHERE month = &m
         AND t_ap2.publn_date <= intnx('year', t_base.earliest_publn_date,3) /*a 3-year moving window starting at the earliest publication date of a patent family */
        GROUP BY t_base.psn_name
        ORDER BY t_base.psn_name
;
QUIT;
   %end;     
   %end;

%mend base_of_cit3;   

%base_of_cit3;
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

You would need to put m to z2, something like:

step4.m_3cit&y.%sysfunc(put(&m.,z2.)) as

However, I can only stress once more that splitting data up in lots of same chunks and then writing lots of macro to cope with that will give you a headache and break 90% of the time.

Astounding
PROC Star

Note that %SYSFUNC does not support the PUT function.  You would have to use PUTN instead.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@France wrote:

Dear RW9,

Allow me to give the same advice as @RW9.

This is generally a bad idea to split up the data by month and year. It should all go into a single data set, and from there the analyses can be performed using the proper BY statement in whatever PROC you plan to use.

Now that you have been given the same advice twice, please don't ignore it.

--
Paige Miller
France
Quartz | Level 8

Dear PaigeMiller, 

thanks for both of your advice. now I am trying to not split up the data by month, but I really do not know how to get the result if I do not split the data by year. 

now I am using the following codes,

%macro  base_of_cit3;
   %local y;
   %do y=2000 %to 2010;

PROC SQL;
        CREATE TABLE Step4.M_3cit&y AS
         SELECT
           t_base.psn_name,
           COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 1 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS No_of_cit&y.01,
           COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 2 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS No_of_cit&y.02,
           COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 3 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS No_of_cit&y.03,
           COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 4 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS No_of_cit&y.04,
           COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 5 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS No_of_cit&y.05,
           COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 6 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS No_of_cit&y.06,
           COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 7 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS No_of_cit&y.07,
           COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 8 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS No_of_cit&y.08,
           COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 9 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS No_of_cit&y.09,
           COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 10 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS No_of_cit&y.10,
           COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 11 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS No_of_cit&y.11,
           COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 12 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS No_of_cit&y.12
        FROM
         WHERE t_ap2.publn_date <= intnx('year', t_base.earliest_publn_date,3) /*a 3-year moving window starting at the earliest publication date of a patent family */
        GROUP BY t_base.psn_name
        ORDER BY t_base.psn_name
;
QUIT;
   %end;     

%mend base_of_cit3;   

%base_of_cit3;

but the result shows that,

NOTE: Line generated by the invoked macro "BASE_OF_CIT3".
105   WHEN month = 8 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS citation&y.08,        COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN
105! month = 9 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS citation&y.09,        COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month
105! = 10 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS citation&y.10,
                                         --
ERROR 79-322: Expecting a ).

106          COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 11 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS citation&y.11,
                                                                                --
                                                                                79
106!    COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 12 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS citation&y.12       FROM
106!          Pat_ori.Docdbfamiliescitations AS t_do         JOIN
106          COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 11 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS citation&y.11,
106!    COUNT(DISTINCT(case WHEN month = 12 THEN t_do.docdb_family_id END) AS citation&y.12       FROM
                                                                           --
106!          Pat_ori.Docdbfamiliescitations AS t_do         JOIN
ERROR 79-322: Expecting a ).

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
NOTE: PROCEDURE SQL used (Total process time):
      real time           0.02 seconds
      cpu time            0.03 seconds

Could you please give me some suggestions?

Astounding
PROC Star

All of your COUNT calculations have two open parentheses but only one close parenthesis.

France
Quartz | Level 8
Dear Astounding,

I really appreciate your suggestion.
have a nice day.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation