BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
crunchit
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi folks,

This might seem nuanced but is it possible to create new variables using parts of or all of an existing variable name in an array kind of style? If I understand correctly you can't change the format of an existing variable from say numeric to character or vice versa. In summary, I had to transpose a character variable that had a lot of distinct values (100+) so I could flag the occurrence and eventually count/sum the frequency. Is there an efficient way of creating another version of the existing 100+ new variables to be flagged and as numeric? I have tried this approach which seems to create the flags and overwrite the existing variable (not creating the supposedly new variable) but the format remains unchanged and it's still a character variable (not surprised as stated earlier that you can't change the format of an existing variable). 

data transp_trt_flags;
  set test.transp_bc_trt;
  /* Flag transposed treatment regimen */
  array trt_reg[*] trt_:; /*select all variables beginning with trt_*/
  array trt_fl[*]  trt_:_fl; /*create new dummy variables to replace the original; gave this a shot without thinking it will run*/ 

do i = 1 to dim(trt_reg);
    if not missing(trt_reg(i)) then 
      trt_fl(i) = input(1, best32.);
    else
      trt_fl(i) = input(0, best32.);
  end;
  output;
run;

snippet_trt.png

Thanks for your help as always

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Get the variable names from DICTIONARY.COLUMNS:

proc sql noprint;
select cats(name,"_fl") into :new_array separated by " "
from dictionary.columns
where
  libname = "TEST" and memname = "TRANSP_BC_TRT"
  and upcase(name) like 'TRT_%'
;
quit;

data transp_trt_flags;
set test.transp_bc_trt;
array trt_reg{*} trt_:;
array trt_fl{*} &new_arr.;
  trt_fl{i} = missing(trt_reg{i});
end;
run;

You can also see where your code can be greatly simplified.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Without giving it much thought - maybe you could create variable definitions as macro variables prior to your data step. Something like

proc sql;
   select dictinct trt into: trt_vars separated by ' '
   from have;
quit;

data want;
    set have;
    length &trt_vars 8.;
run;

Data never sleeps
crunchit
Obsidian | Level 7

That seems logical @LinusH I will try it and definitely let you know. I appreciate it

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Get the variable names from DICTIONARY.COLUMNS:

proc sql noprint;
select cats(name,"_fl") into :new_array separated by " "
from dictionary.columns
where
  libname = "TEST" and memname = "TRANSP_BC_TRT"
  and upcase(name) like 'TRT_%'
;
quit;

data transp_trt_flags;
set test.transp_bc_trt;
array trt_reg{*} trt_:;
array trt_fl{*} &new_arr.;
  trt_fl{i} = missing(trt_reg{i});
end;
run;

You can also see where your code can be greatly simplified.

crunchit
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, @Kurt_Bremser I will give it a shot. I appreciate your help. Will keep you posted

crunchit
Obsidian | Level 7

@Kurt_Bremser thanks for your help. The first bit worked. Just a note for others to correct the typo in the macro variable plus I'm not quite sure of the logic for the second bit since it is returning a bunch of 1s for missing (need it to be the other way around for 1s if not missing) so I used my original code. I lost a few variables too. But all in all, considering the grand scheme of things, this will suffice. I appreciate it

&new_arr. should be &new_array.

crunchit
Obsidian | Level 7

others can try  trt_fl{i} = not missing(trt_reg{i}); in your code as well. That should work

A_Kh
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

If your transposed variable (in the VAR statement) is character type, then you might think of changing its format into numeric before transposing; 

like. 

data want;
	set have;
	num_var= put(char_var, best.);
run; 

proc transpose data= want out=want_wide;
	by <byvar>;
	var num_var;
	id <idvar>;
run; 
crunchit
Obsidian | Level 7

@A_Kh Yeah, I thought about that but did not try it mainly because I didn't think you could necessarily format a character variable say "boy" or "girl" into numeric. I may be wrong. Will try that as well. This is really piquing my interest now. Could have saved me a lot of time if I had just given it a shot when I thought about it. Thanks

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation