BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Stalk
Pyrite | Level 9

I used proc import to read my data and one of the date field(4/13/24) imported as sas number date. How do I convert that date to date9. (12APR2024). Also in this field I have some character values like "No date" and some date values. How do I handle them.

data pm;
input exp $  Name $ ;
datalines;
45301 John        
44986 Jane      
45412 Bob     
No_date Emily 
10/5/24 Don 

;
run;

data temp_test;
  set pm;
  expiry=input(exp,date9.);
  run;

Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why did you try to read the values using DATE9 informat?  None of the strings you showed look anything at all like the text that the DATE informat can read.

The values that look like numbers in the 40K range are probably Excel date values.  Convert them into numbers and adjust for the different way Excel and SAS number days.

Also what date do you want for that last value?  10/5/24 could be October Fifth of 1924 or 2024 (or 1824 for that matter).  But it could also be the Tenth of May for any of those years.  And it might be May 24th in the year 2010 (or 1910 or 1810).

data temp_test;
  set pm;
  expiry = input(exp,??32.);
  if not missing(expiry) then expiry=expiry+'30DEC1899'd ;
  else expiry=input(exp,mmddyy10.);
  format expiry date9.;
run;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

If the source of the file is a spreadsheet there are a couple of approaches:

First, you get character results because of the 'No_date' or whatever in the column. So one approach is to delete anything from the column that is not an actual date before import/reading the data.

Second, make sure all of the cells in the column have the same format. You may have people that entered a text date instead of the proper date. Fix them. Or entered numbers like 20210506 that they thought was a "date" but is not actually treated as such by either the spreadsheet or SAS.

Then "import" and see if things work better.

Personally I generally save spreadsheet files to a CSV file format an use a data step to read that. With the data step I set the approach used to read each column so can address some odd values.

Often the export to CSV will reduce the headaches associated with dates or at least create invalid data messages in the log so you are aware of them and can adjust the reading code.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why did you try to read the values using DATE9 informat?  None of the strings you showed look anything at all like the text that the DATE informat can read.

The values that look like numbers in the 40K range are probably Excel date values.  Convert them into numbers and adjust for the different way Excel and SAS number days.

Also what date do you want for that last value?  10/5/24 could be October Fifth of 1924 or 2024 (or 1824 for that matter).  But it could also be the Tenth of May for any of those years.  And it might be May 24th in the year 2010 (or 1910 or 1810).

data temp_test;
  set pm;
  expiry = input(exp,??32.);
  if not missing(expiry) then expiry=expiry+'30DEC1899'd ;
  else expiry=input(exp,mmddyy10.);
  format expiry date9.;
run;

Stalk
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you so much for all your time and help.

I think I found the issue. My excel has multiple sheets and I'm reading from one sheet where these dates values are referencing from another sheet. When I use import wizard the dates are imported correctly but when I use proc import the dates are importing in numeric format.

I have no control of changing the source file, updated by many hands.

But I'm in the process of scheduling a job to read from this excel and send email to users with the list of all the products that will expire this month

Excel date SAS proc import date
1/10/2024 45301
11/5/2024 45601

proc import out=count_xlsx
datafile="c:temp\Inventory.xlsx"
dbms=xlsx
replace;
SHEET="count_Inventory";
getnames=YES;
run;

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation