Cleaned_flag="Y";
NAME="&name";
end;

%mend sqlmerchant;
data TESTING2;
set TESTING;
format
name $CHAR255.;
%sqlmerchant(name=A BAKERY CHATERAISE, test=indexw(NEW,"A BAKERY CHATERAISE") & "Merchant Category"n in ("Miscellaneous Stores----Quick Payment Service-Fast Food Restaurants") );
%sqlmerchant(name=A BAKERY CHATERAISE, test=indexw(NEW,"A BAKERY CHATERAISE") & "Merchant Category"n in ("Retail Outlet Services----Bakeries") );

but i shorten my script by removing repeat marco

so i build up a keyword inventory like this:

final_name2 Merchant Category NEW_NAME2
A A Professional Services and Membership Organizations----Schools and Educational Services - Not Elsewhere Classified A A DRIVER TRAINING
A A OPTICAL HONG KONG Professional Services and Membership Organizations----Opticians, Optical Goods and Eyeglasses A A OPTICAL HONG KONG
A A OPTICAL YUEN LONG Professional Services and Membership Organizations----Opticians, Optical Goods and Eyeglasses A A OPTICAL HONG KONG

can anyone help me to change it into this fore using call execute?

%macro sqlmerchant(name=,test=);
if &test then do;
Cleaned_flag="Y";
NAME="&name";
end;

%mend sqlmerchant;

data TESTING2;
set TESTING;
format
name $CHAR255.;
call execute('keyword2.'||strip(name)||';
set keyword2;
test=indexw(final_name2,'||strip(name)||') & "Merchant Category"n in ('||strip(name)||') );
run;');

thanks in advance

harry

3 REPLIES 3
MCoopmans
SAS Employee

Hello Harry,

Statements generated with CALL EXECUTE will only be executed AFTER the datastep that generates them is finished. Unlike macro statements that are executed BEFORE. 

Perhaps you should elaborate a little more about what you are trying to accomplish , and perhaps pass along some sample data in a datastep cards statement so we can replicate what you are doing.

Regards,

Mathias.

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

From the looks of it you just want to create a new variable where you replace a very long string with a shorter string. If so then consider to create a format.

If you also add an OTHER case to the format where the label is missing then you can also query the result and set your flag (set to Y if the new variable is not missing).

name=put(have, $myformat.);

if not missing(name) then Cleaned_flag="Y";

Reeza
Super User
Any reason you didn't use arrays instead of a macro here?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation