BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Songchan
Calcite | Level 5

Hello guys,

I want to use the data (please see the photo) to calculate a factor, the formula is imomf=1/2*(bw+sw)-1/2*(bl+sl), but the thing is i need bw, sw, bl and sl 's corresponding imom statistics to calculate imomf, and i need it sorted by date, so that on each date i get one imomf.

Could somebody help me with that?

Regards.

data temp01; set mylib.rankimom01;
    keep permno date imom kind;
run;

proc sort data=temp01;by date;run;
data temp02; set temp01;
   imomf=1/2*(bw+sw)-1/2*(bl+sl);
run;

photo.png

8 REPLIES 8
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

First, you need to post your data as SAS code (see this document for instructions: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat...) rather than as a photo, which we can't use.

Secondly, since you don't have variables bl, sl, bw and sw, your code won't work. Can you tell us where these variables come from? How would YOU create these variables?

--
Paige Miller
Songchan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

thanks for reply, the photo is just an example, I only want you to know what it looks like, and there are four kinds of data in "kind" column, bw, bl, sw, sl. I didn't show them all in the photo.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Songchan wrote:

Hi,

thanks for reply, the photo is just an example, I only want you to know what it looks like, and there are four kinds of data in "kind" column, bw, bl, sw, sl. I didn't show them all in the photo.

Again, we need to see a reasonable portion of the data so we can understand what to do. If your example only shows bl as a character string and not any of the others, how are we supposed to make progress? If there are four different kinds of data in the column "kind", that should have been clearly stated in the original message.

Now please explain what we should do with PERMNO? What is the aggregation method for multiple observations in a given value of DATE1?

--
Paige Miller
Songchan
Calcite | Level 5
data temp03; set temp02;
   if rank=1 and size='b' then kind='bl';
   if rank=1 and size='s' then kind='sl';
   if rank=10 and size='b' then kind='bw';
   if rank=10 and size='s' then kind='sw';
run;
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

It looks like you are only missing a transposition step. Perhaps:

data temp01; set mylib.rankimom01;
    keep permno date imom kind;
run;

proc sort data=temp01;by permno date;run;

proc transpose data=temp01 out=temp02;
by permno date;
var imom;
id kind;
run;

data temp03; set temp02;
   imomf=1/2*(bw+sw)-1/2*(bl+sl);
run;

Not sure about the role of permno. Untested.

PG
Songchan
Calcite | Level 5
thanks for replying, but there are still no value in imomf column. permno doesnt matter.
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Remove permno from the code and see what happens.

PG
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You still haven't described what we should do about the multiple values with the same date. What should we do about this? Average the values with the same date? Sum the values with the same date? 

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation