BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
CathyVI
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

How can I create a new column for preafib and prepfo BUT ignore the missing row when assigning a value to the new variable.

without assigning a value to the new variable when both  First_Ischemic or  First_Hemorrhagic is blank. For example, ID = 032462 my code was able to calculate when afib is less then First_Ischemic or First_Hemorrhagic but it is also assigning a value for when both columns are missing. I do not want it. 

Also, ID=023434 is assigning a value of YES to preafib because  First_Ischemic = .  so it recognizes First_Ischemic to be less than First_AFIB=21JUN2003. How can I rewrite my code to ignore the missing and only calculate for the non-missing rows. Thanks

data a;
input ID $6. First_Ischemic First_Hemorrhagic first_AFIB first_PFO ;
format First_Ischemic First_Hemorrhagic first_AFIB first_PFO date9.;
informat First_Ischemic First_Hemorrhagic first_AFIB first_PFO date9.;
datalines;
011386   23SEP2004  10FEB2020  .   . 
034627   01DEC2009  30NOV2009  .   10FEB2020     
011427   10JUL2003   .   .   .
012666   .   18SEP2006   20JUN2002   .
023434   .   18OCT2002   21JUN2003   . 
020485   15JUL2009   .   .   .   
032462   .   .   .    20JUN2002  
011386   23SEP2004  10FEB2020  .   . 
;
run;
proc sort data=a; by id; run;
data Prepost;
set a;
by id;
if First_AFIB ne .  then do;
if First_AFIB<First_Ischemic or First_Hemorrhagic then Preafib='Yes';
else if First_AFIB> First_Ischemic or First_Hemorrhagic then Preafib='No';
end;
if first_PFO ne .  then do;
if first_PFO<First_Ischemic or First_Hemorrhagic then Prepfo='Yes';
if first_PFO> First_Ischemic or First_Hemorrhagic then Prepfo='No';
end;
run;

Output of interest

ObsIDFirst_IschemicFirst_Hemorrhagicfirst_AFIBfirst_PFOPreafibPrepfo
101138623SEP200410FEB2020..  
201138623SEP200410FEB2020..  
301142710JUL2003...  
4012666.18SEP200620JUN2002.Yes 
502048515JUL2009...  
6023434.18OCT200221JUN2003.No 
7032462...20JUN2002  
803462701DEC200930NOV2009.10FEB2020 No

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
     if First_AFIB<First_Ischemic or First_AFIB<First_Hemorrhagic then Preafib='Yes';
     else if (not missing(first_ischemic) or not missing(first_Hemorrhagic)) and
          (First_AFIB> First_Ischemic or First_AFIB>First_Hemorrhagic) then Preafib='No';
end;
    if first_PFO<First_Ischemic or first_PFO<First_Hemorrhagic then Prepfo='Yes';
        (first_PFO> First_Ischemic or first_PFO<First_Hemorrhagic) then Prepfo='No';      
end;

You will find it extremely helpful if you work out the logic in your head and/or on a piece of paper, so all possible situations are accounted for, and then program from that. 

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You have to test to see if first_ischemic and first_hemmorrhagic are both missing. You haven't done that, so in your code this isn't accounted for. I think this is what you want

if (not missing(first_ischemic) or not missing(first_Hemorrhagic)) and 
        (first_PFO> First_Ischemic or first_PFO>First_Hemorrhagic) then Prepfo='No';
end;

Also your constructed IF statement 

if first_PFO<First_Ischemic or First_Hemorrhagic

seems wrong to me and I have adjusted this in my code.

--
Paige Miller
CathyVI
Pyrite | Level 9

@PaigeMiller @ballardw @Tom 

What do you think is wrong here. I expected ID=012666 to be "Yes"  if First_AFIB<First_Ischemic or First_AFIB<First_Hemorrhagic but am getting a "NO". I have modified the code few times but not the right output.

data Prepost1;
set a;
by id;
if First_AFIB<First_Ischemic or First_AFIB<First_Hemorrhagic then Preafib='Yes';
end;
end;
run;

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
end;
end;

You will find it extremely helpful if you work out the logic in your head and/or on a piece of paper, so all possible situations are accounted for, and then program from that. 

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

SAS very nicely provides the ability to have multiple comparisons such as   a < b < c as a simple construct.

So if you want to exclude the missing values for First_afib from returning true with code like First_AFIB<First_Ischemic then provide a lower bound for First_afib:

if 0< First_AFIB<First_Ischemic then ...

Since your values are mostly dates you could use a date literal that you expect never to appear in the data a valid such as

if '01JAN1800'd < First_AFIB<First_Ischemic then ...

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What test do you think this code is performing?

First_AFIB<First_Ischemic or First_Hemorrhagic

SAS will treat that as this test:

(First_AFIB<First_Ischemic) or (First_Hemorrhagic)

So if FIRST_HEMORRHAGIC is not missing and not zero (zero is the date '01JAN1960'd) then that test will be TRUE.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation