BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lillymaginta
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi All,

I have the following code: 

data a (drop=i);

set b;

array x{*} dx:;

vcf2=0;

do i=1 to dim(x);

vcf2= ifn(substrn(x{i},1,5)in ( **),1,vcf2);

end;

run;

Is there a way to put instead of the start a long list of numbers that are in another subset of data? so for example

vcf2= ifn(substrn(x{i},1,5)in (  variable c in work.c                                  ),1,vcf2);

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You can't mix and match DATA step code and SQL code. In a DATA step, you can only use DATA step code.

You could do something like this:

vcf2= ifn(substrn(x{i},1,5) in ('horse','sheep','robin'),1,vcf2);

but of course this requires a lot of typing and avoiding making typing errors.

If the values are stored in a data set (in other words, you have a data set with a column named NAME, and the value in row 1 is horse and the value in row 2 is sheep and so on, then you could create a macro variable named &names that contains the list you want

data mylistdataset;
    input name $;
cards;
horse
sheep
robin
;

proc sql noprint;
    select distinct quote(trim(name)) into :names separated by ',' from mylistdataset;
quit;

data a (drop=i);
    set b;
    vcf2=0;
    do i=1 to dim(x);
        vcf2= ifn(substrn(x{i},1,5)in (&names),1,vcf2);
    end;
run;
--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Reeza
Super User

If your data was in a long format then yes, this would be trivial. It's probably easiest to transpose your data and use that method.

If you want to stay vertical, you can load your second data set into a temporary array and use that. You would likely want to have two nested loops, looping of all the conditions and all of the diagnosis, or use WHICHC. 

There's a basic example of a temporary array here and loading it from a data set:

https://gist.github.com/statgeek/f052b5223fecca066b1f

It's not a really great example but hopefully gives you the idea of how to load the data set and use it. 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You can't mix and match DATA step code and SQL code. In a DATA step, you can only use DATA step code.

You could do something like this:

vcf2= ifn(substrn(x{i},1,5) in ('horse','sheep','robin'),1,vcf2);

but of course this requires a lot of typing and avoiding making typing errors.

If the values are stored in a data set (in other words, you have a data set with a column named NAME, and the value in row 1 is horse and the value in row 2 is sheep and so on, then you could create a macro variable named &names that contains the list you want

data mylistdataset;
    input name $;
cards;
horse
sheep
robin
;

proc sql noprint;
    select distinct quote(trim(name)) into :names separated by ',' from mylistdataset;
quit;

data a (drop=i);
    set b;
    vcf2=0;
    do i=1 to dim(x);
        vcf2= ifn(substrn(x{i},1,5)in (&names),1,vcf2);
    end;
run;
--
Paige Miller
lillymaginta
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you Reeza and Paige, yes the value is stored in a dataset because it includes a list of 1000+ numbers. 

Reeza
Super User

Macro variables have a limit of ~65k characters. So you're 1000 numbers need to be less than 6 characters each, not including the , and quotation marks which may be an issue for you. Make sure to verify that the macro variable is created correctly.

@lillymaginta wrote:

Thank you Reeza and Paige, yes the value is stored in a dataset because it includes a list of 1000+ numbers. 

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

So the macro variable created would have 5 digit text, quotes on either side and a comma following, that's 8 characters, so the size limit for macro variables would not be exceeded unless the list had over 8000 items. If that did happen, you could either split the macro variable into pieces, each piece being less than 65K characters, or you could use CALL EXECUTE.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation