BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Anita_n
Pyrite | Level 9

Dear all,

If I have multiple excel files. Each files has two sheets. I wish to import only the second sheet in all files.

I was just wondering if it's possible to do this without using a macro.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you don't know the NAME of the sheet you will have to use some method to discover the name.

Here is a way using the ZIP filename engine to treat the XLSX file as the ZIP file that it actually is so that you can read the XML file that is in there that lists the sheets.  The XML is pretty simple so just use a data step to locate the names and don't bother trying to interpret all of the XML.

filename _wbzip ZIP "c:\downloads\contents.xlsx" member='xl/workbook.xml';
data sheets ;
  infile _wbzip dsd dlm=' ' recfm=n ;
  sheetnum+1;
  input @'<sheet name=' sheetname :$32. @@;
run;

Once you have the sheetname you can put it into a macro variable and use that to generate the PROC IMPORT step.

data _null_;
  set sheets;
  if sheetnum=2;
  call symputx('sheet',sheetname);
run;

proc import ....
  sheet="&sheet."; 
run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@Anita_n wrote:

Dear all,

If I have multiple excel files. Each files has two sheets. I wish to import only the second sheet in all files.

I was just wondering if it's possible to do this without using a macro.

Yes.

Provide more details for more help.  In particular things like:

• Is the sheetname of the second sheet always the same?
  • Do you know the names of the workbooks you want to import?
  • What names to you want to use for the imported datasets?

Note that SAS macro language is used to generate SAS code.  There are many other ways to use normal SAS code to generate SAS code that does not require using the macro processor.

Anita_n
Pyrite | Level 9

Yes I know the names of the workbooks. The sheetnames are different in some files but are the same in some

I was thinking if there is a way to say second always import sheet2

proc import datafile=infile&year
out=outfile&year
dbms=xlsx replace; getnames=no; datarow=7;
sheet="sheet2"; *maybe there is a way to say always import sheet2 without using a macro;
run;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you don't know the NAME of the sheet you will have to use some method to discover the name.

Here is a way using the ZIP filename engine to treat the XLSX file as the ZIP file that it actually is so that you can read the XML file that is in there that lists the sheets.  The XML is pretty simple so just use a data step to locate the names and don't bother trying to interpret all of the XML.

filename _wbzip ZIP "c:\downloads\contents.xlsx" member='xl/workbook.xml';
data sheets ;
  infile _wbzip dsd dlm=' ' recfm=n ;
  sheetnum+1;
  input @'<sheet name=' sheetname :$32. @@;
run;

Once you have the sheetname you can put it into a macro variable and use that to generate the PROC IMPORT step.

data _null_;
  set sheets;
  if sheetnum=2;
  call symputx('sheet',sheetname);
run;

proc import ....
  sheet="&sheet."; 
run;
Anita_n
Pyrite | Level 9

Thankyou very much, it works perfectly

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation