BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Emma2021
Quartz | Level 8
I am using sas 9.4. I want to import excel file into sas. There are many tabs that has some tabs’ names have extra spaces. How can read those sheets without opening the excel file and remove those spaces?

When I use this below code -I got an error message (file _imex_ data does not exist).

My code is below:

Proc import out= dsn
Datafile =“location\in.xlsx”
DBMS=excel replace ;
Sheet=“sheet1 control$”n;
Run;

Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

What exactly is your issue?  Are you not finding the XLSX file?  What does the FILEEXIST() function return for that path?

Is your SHEET statement not finding the sheet name?  The value there needs to be the specification of the name of the sheet in the XLSX file, not the SAS name literal string you have tried.  Try adding quotes inside the quotes.

Sheet="'sheet1 control$'" ;

Or switch to using the XLSX libname engine instead.

To allow member names to contain spaces you can change the VALIDMEMNAME option.

options validmemname=extend;
/* Do not use Microsoft ugly quotes like, “...”, use normal quotes */
libname in xlsx "location\in.xlsx";  
proc copy inlib=in outlib=work;
run;

To reference the member name with the spaces you will need to use a name literal.  I recommend renaming the member.

proc datasets nolist lib=work;
  change "sheet1 control"n = sheet1_control ;
  run;
quit;

ballardw
Super User

@Emma2021 wrote:
I am using sas 9.4. I want to import excel file into sas. There are many tabs that has some tabs’ names have extra spaces. How can read those sheets without opening the excel file and remove those spaces?

When I use this below code -I got an error message (file _imex_ data does not exist).

My code is below:

Proc import out= dsn
Datafile =“location\in.xlsx”
DBMS=excel replace ;
Sheet=“sheet1 control$”n;
Run;

Thank you.

Large economy sized warning: This forum's message windows will reformat text pasted and the most common reformat is removing multiple spaces. It is best to always paste code into either a code box opened with the "running man" icon or a text box opened with the </> icon above the message windows to preserve formatting.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation