BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bphillips79
Calcite | Level 5

Hi folks - 

I'm using SAS's learning tool and I've run into a problem when trying to access the XLSX engine. 

I'm running: 9.4 TS LEVEL 1M5

Code:

options validvarname=v7;
libname NP XLSX "U:\My SAS Files\9.4\coursefiles\EPG1V2\data\np_info.xlsx";

Error I'm getting:

1 options validvarname=v7;
2 libname NP XLSX "U:\My SAS Files\9.4\coursefiles\EPG1V2\data\np_info.xlsx";
ERROR: The XLSX engine cannot be found.
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

I checked to see if Interface to PC was licensed and installed:

---SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files
31JUL2023

For SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files ...
Custom version information: 9.4_M5

Any ideas?

14 REPLIES 14
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@bphillips79 wrote:

Hi folks - 

I'm using SAS's learning tool and I've run into a problem when trying to access the XLSX engine. 

I'm running: 9.4 TS LEVEL 1M5

Code:

options validvarname=v7;
libname NP XLSX "U:\My SAS Files\9.4\coursefiles\EPG1V2\data\np_info.xlsx";

Error I'm getting:

1 options validvarname=v7;
2 libname NP XLSX "U:\My SAS Files\9.4\coursefiles\EPG1V2\data\np_info.xlsx";
ERROR: The XLSX engine cannot be found.
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

I checked to see if Interface to PC was licensed and installed:

---SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files
31JUL2023

For SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files ...
Custom version information: 9.4_M5

Any ideas?

Are you referring to SAS OnDemand for Academics or something else?

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi: If you are using SAS OnDemand for Academics, the code for the class does work on the SAS OnDemand server. What will NOT work is the U: drive location you show. SAS OnDemand for Academics will NOT read any location except for OnDemand server files. Also, I'm confused by the SAS version you show because the OnDemand server is using a more current version. However, the XLSX engine was included in SAS Access for PC File Formats starting with SAS 9.4 Maintenance Release 2, so if you are by any chance using a LOCAL installation of SAS, it is possible that you don't have the XLSX engine because it was not part of your configuration.
Cynthia
bphillips79
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Cynthia - 

I realize I wasn't clear in my initial question.  I'm using a SAS video training module and their provided files, but doing the activities on my local install.  However, to your point about XLSX and PC File Formats, I think I have Interface to PC Files installed.  That's what "For SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files ...
Custom version information: 9.4_M5" means, correct?  And if I have do Interface to PC Files do I call PC Files or XLSX in my program?

bphillips79
Calcite | Level 5

Something else.  I realize now I wasn't clear.  I'm watching a SAS provided training video module and using the accompanying files they provided.  But I'm doing so on my local machine install.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Look in the Course Overview and Data Setup section at the top of the Table of Contents. There are 3 methods of making the data for your own SAS installation. The instructions you follow depend on the type of installation you have. If it turns out that you do not have SAS/Access for PC Files installed (this is what you need -- it contains the XLSX engine), then your best choice for practicing your be to use one of these options:
1) Use the Virtual Lab and SAS Studio that is INSIDE the course on the right side of the screen or
2) set up a SAS OnDemand account and use SAS Studio with SAS OnDemand to practice.
There is NOT any data setup required to use option 1. There is 1 folder to make and 1 program to run to do the data setup for #2.
Hope this helps,
Cynthia
bphillips79
Calcite | Level 5

I did run that, and got a whole list of items.  I posted in the lines regarding PC Files from licensing proc (I forget the syntax) and the product status.  I didn't see anything about XLSX in either of the results though.  Should I expect to see XLSX if it's licensed and/or installed?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If PRODUCT_STATUS shows ACCESS to PC Files as installed without issues, then you need to open a track with SAS technical support. The XLSX engine is part of that module.

bphillips79
Calcite | Level 5

I ended up submitting a ticket.  Turns out I have 64 bit SAS and 32 bit MS Office.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@bphillips79 wrote:

I ended up submitting a ticket.  Turns out I have 64 bit SAS and 32 bit MS Office.

Hm. From everything I know, the XLSX engine does not need any "external" software, so it should not be affected by the Office version installed (it also works on UNIX platforms, where there is no MS Office).

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suggest you try the EXCEL engine as well and post the results of this statement:

libname NP Excel "U:\My SAS Files\9.4\coursefiles\EPG1V2\data\np_info.xlsx";

This engine uses components of MS Office so that would need to be installed as well.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Talk to your local SAS support to find out why XLSX engine is not working.  Or open a ticket with SAS Technical Support.  https://support.sas.com/en/technical-support.html

You could always just open the XLSX file with a spreadsheet program and save the sheet as a delimited text file (such as a CSV).  Then you can read the text file using a data step.  There is no way the data step modules are not installed because then SAS wouldn't work at all.

bphillips79
Calcite | Level 5

I ended up opening a ticket.  Discovered I had 64 bit SAS and 32 bit MS Office.  Apparently they don't talk to each other unless they're the same.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@bphillips79 wrote:

I ended up opening a ticket.  Discovered I had 64 bit SAS and 32 bit MS Office.  Apparently they don't talk to each other unless they're the same.

That would only have an impact if you tried to use the EXCEL engine.  The cause of your issue with the XLSX engine is something else.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation