BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
daradanye
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

I am trying to winsorize a lot of variables.  I searched and found there are so many macros out there. The macro I am currently using is this one: http://www.wrds.us/index.php/repository/view/sas_winsorize_macro

However, I have more than 50 variables to be winsorized.  And the names of the 50 variables are not quite regular. I tried to quote the macro above in the following way. But it did not work out.

%winsor(dsetin=in, dsetout=out, byvar=none, vars=atg--umh, type=winsor, pctl=1 99)
 

I will appreciate it very much someone can help me out here.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

You need to list the variables out in that macro instead of using the shortcut reference. Since it does what you want I suggest building a macro variable using SQL and passing that to the macro. Assuming your variables are ordered, which would need to be the case for your code to have worked, and that the first variable is 3 and the last is 103 then something like this would work. 

proc sql noprint;

select name into :var_list separated by " "
from sashelp.vcolumn 
where upper(libname) = 'WORK' and upper(memname) = 'IN'
and varnum between 3 and 103;

quit;

Then you can call the macro using:

%winsor(dsetin=in, dsetout=out, byvar=none, vars=&var_list, type=winsor, pctl=1 99)

@daradanye wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to winsorize a lot of variables.  I searched and found there are so many macros out there. The macro I am currently using is this one: http://www.wrds.us/index.php/repository/view/sas_winsorize_macro

However, I have more than 50 variables to be winsorized.  And the names of the 50 variables are not quite regular. I tried to quote the macro above in the following way. But it did not work out.

%winsor(dsetin=in, dsetout=out, byvar=none, vars=atg--umh, type=winsor, pctl=1 99)
 

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

You need to list the variables out in that macro instead of using the shortcut reference. Since it does what you want I suggest building a macro variable using SQL and passing that to the macro. Assuming your variables are ordered, which would need to be the case for your code to have worked, and that the first variable is 3 and the last is 103 then something like this would work. 

proc sql noprint;

select name into :var_list separated by " "
from sashelp.vcolumn 
where upper(libname) = 'WORK' and upper(memname) = 'IN'
and varnum between 3 and 103;

quit;

Then you can call the macro using:

%winsor(dsetin=in, dsetout=out, byvar=none, vars=&var_list, type=winsor, pctl=1 99)

@daradanye wrote:

Hi,

 

Thanks!

Ksharp
Super User

If you have SAS/IML . That would be easy .

data have;
 do i=1 to 100;
  a=ceil(ranuni(1)*100);
  b=ceil(ranuni(2)*100);
  output;
 end;
 drop i;
run;

%let low=0.05 ;
%let high=0.95 ;

proc iml;
use have;
read all var _num_ into x[c=vname];
close have;
call qntl(q,x,{&low ,&high});

do i=1 to ncol(x);
 x[loc(x[,i]<q[1,i]),i]=q[1,i];
 x[loc(x[,i]>q[2,i]),i]=q[2,i];
end;

create want from x[c=vname];
append from x;
close want;

quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation