BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
smackerz1988
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

I'm developing a macro and converting a data step to a proc sql step. so going from this 

data ae00 (keep=usubjid &pop.  country countryc aedecod aegdecod astdy trtp AESHOSP TRTEMFL AESOC TOXG:);
	set adam.adae;
    where &popflg. and country in (&formatted_country_list.) and &inds_whr.;
run;

to this

proc sql;
    create table ae00 as
    select usubjid, &pop., country, countryc, aedecod, aegdecod, astdy, trtp, AESHOSP, TRTEMFL, AESOC, TOXG:
    from adam.adae
    where &popflg. 
        and country in (&formatted_country_list.) 
        and &inds_whr.;
quit;

The only issue I'm having is the TOXGR: from the original data step. Is there a wildcard operation that would do this or do I just have to explicitly state each TOXGR variable?. Sometimes the TOXGR variables may change over different study datasets which is the rationale for doing this. I know for fuzzy matching variable values you could use SPEDIS, SOUNDEX, COMPLEV functions. However, I'm wondering if there's also a function that can be applied to finding similarities in variable names, similar to these methods,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @smackerz1988,

To keep the code simple, you can use the same KEEP= dataset option in the PROC SQL step that you used in the DATA step and then select * from ...:

proc sql;
create table ae00 (keep=usubjid ... TOXG:) as
select *
from adam.adae

Alternatively (and possibly more efficient), create the variable list from DICTIONARY.COLUMNS:

proc sql noprint;
select name into :toxgvars separated by ' '
from dictionary.columns
where libname='ADAM' & memname='ADAE' & upcase(name) eqt 'TOXG';
quit;

and then replace TOXG: with &toxgvars in your PROC SQL code.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @smackerz1988,

To keep the code simple, you can use the same KEEP= dataset option in the PROC SQL step that you used in the DATA step and then select * from ...:

proc sql;
create table ae00 (keep=usubjid ... TOXG:) as
select *
from adam.adae

Alternatively (and possibly more efficient), create the variable list from DICTIONARY.COLUMNS:

proc sql noprint;
select name into :toxgvars separated by ' '
from dictionary.columns
where libname='ADAM' & memname='ADAE' & upcase(name) eqt 'TOXG';
quit;

and then replace TOXG: with &toxgvars in your PROC SQL code.

smackerz1988
Pyrite | Level 9

Yeah using dicitonary.columns and eqt makes the most sense to me!. Thanks for your help!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation