BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Ronein
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello

With continue to previous post,

I want to create a new data set based on sashelp.class data set .

I want that in new data set will have 2 columns; Var_name ,Var_value.

I want it to be done only for numeric vars.

I want to identify the numeric vars automatically (Because I want to apply this code on different data sets)

proc sql;
create table numeric_Vars as
select libname, memname, name, type, length,
format, informat, label
from dictionary.columns
where libname = 'SASHELP' and memname = 'CLASS' and upcase(type) = 'NUM'
;
quit;

proc sql noprint;
select name into : Numeric_Vars_List SEPARATED by ' '
from numeric_Vars
;
quit;
%put &Numeric_Vars_List.; /**Age Height Weight**/

proc sql noprint;
select count(*) as nr_numeric_Vars into :nr_numeric_Vars
from numeric_Vars
;
quit;
%put &nr_numeric_Vars.;

data Long_Structure_Numeric_Vars_Data;
set sashelp.class;
array vv{&nr_numeric_Vars.}   &Numeric_Vars_List.; /* _NUMERIC_   */
do j=1 to dim(vv);
Var_Name  = vname(vv(i));
Var_Value = vv(i);
output;
end;
run;

The error in log is:

INFO: Character variables have defaulted to a length of 200 at the places given by: (Line):(Column). Truncation can result.
      31:1     Var_Name
NOTE: Variable i is uninitialized.
ERROR: Array subscript out of range at line 31 column 19.
Name=Alfred Sex=M Age=14 Height=69 Weight=112.5 j=1 Var_Name=  i=. Var_Value=  _ERROR_=1 _N_=1
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
NOTE: There were 1 observations read from the data set SASHELP.CLASS.
WARNING: The data set WORK.LONG_STRUCTURE_NUMERIC_VARS_DATA may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 
         observations and 9 variables.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You can't use a variable named I until it has been defined and given a value. You have not given it a value.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You can't use a variable named I until it has been defined and given a value. You have not given it a value.

--
Paige Miller
Ronein
Meteorite | Level 14

Great! solution is fine now

proc sql;
create table numeric_Vars as
select libname, memname, name, type, length,
format, informat, label
from dictionary.columns
where libname = 'SASHELP' and memname = 'CLASS' and upcase(type) = 'NUM'
;
quit;

proc sql noprint;
select name into : Numeric_Vars_List SEPARATED by ' '
from numeric_Vars
;
quit;
%put &Numeric_Vars_List.; /**Age Height Weight**/

proc sql noprint;
select count(*) as nr_numeric_Vars into :nr_numeric_Vars
from numeric_Vars
;
quit;
%put &nr_numeric_Vars.;

data Long_Structure_Numeric_Vars_Data(DROP=&Numeric_Vars_List. J);
set sashelp.class(KEEP=&Numeric_Vars_List.);
array vv{&nr_numeric_Vars.}   &Numeric_Vars_List.; /* _NUMERIC_   */
do j=1 to dim(vv);
Var_Name  = vname(vv(j));
Var_Value =vv(j);
output;
end;
run;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why are you working so hard?   No code generation is needed.

data want;
  length var_name $32 var_value 8 ;
  set sashelp.class;
  array _num_ _numeric_;
  do _n_=2 to dim(_num_);
    var_name = vname(_num_[_n_]);
    var_value = _num_[_n_];
    output;
  end;
  keep var_name var_value;
run;

The resulting data is the same:

Observation Summary                                                                                                                 

Observation      Base  Compare                                                                                                      

First Obs           1        1                                                                                                      
Last  Obs          57       57                                                                                                      

Number of Observations in Common: 57.                                                                                               
Total Number of Observations Read from WORK.WANT: 57.                                                                               
Total Number of Observations Read from WORK.LONG_STRUCTURE_NUMERIC_VARS_DATA: 57.                                                   

Number of Observations with Some Compared Variables Unequal: 0.                                                                     
Number of Observations with All Compared Variables Equal: 57.                                                                       

NOTE: No unequal values were found. All values compared are exactly equal.                                                          

The only difference is that my code makes the VAR_NAME variable shorter since SAS names can only be 32 bytes long.

ballardw
Super User

By default Proc Transpose will use all numeric values as Var variables if a Var statement is not included.

So you might look at:

Proc transpose data=sashelp.class
out=trans (keep=_name_ col1 rename=(_name_=var_name col1=var_value));
by _character_ notsorted;
by _all_ notsorted;
run;

for the example. For a truly lazy way to code.

However if the combination of all the _character_  _All_ variables does not uniquely identify a record (i.e. there are duplicates and the data has been sorted (grouped) by them) the output will not include var_values for the duplicated by variable combinations.

CAUTION: If the data set has Date, time and datetime values may be difficult to use with the single format that the resulting var_value column will have.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation