BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
craig159753
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I have a trivial question, considering the following dataset (MY_DATASET):

/*
Variable1 | Variable2 | Variable3 | Variable4 | Variable5 | Page | PageNumbering |

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

xxxx1     | AAAAA     | YY        | LLL       | W         | 1    | Page 1 of 8   |
xxxx2     | AA        | YYY       | LLLLLL    | WWWWWWWW  | 1    | Page 1 of 8   |
xxxx3     | AAA       |           | L         | WWW       | 1    | Page 1 of 8   |
xxxx4     | AAAAA     | YY        | LLL       | W         | 2    | Page 2 of 8   |
xxxx5     | AA        | YYY       | LLLLLL    | WWWWWWWW  | 2    | Page 2 of 8   |
xxxx6     | AAA       |           | L         | WWW       | 2    | Page 2 of 8   |
... */

Consider the following PROC REPORT code:

proc report data=my_dataset headline nowd split="@" missing spacing=1;
  column variable1 variable2 variable3 variable4 variable5;
  by page;

%* ID Variable(s);
  define variable1 / order order=internal id;
  %* Page 1;
  define variable2 / display;
  define variable3 / display;
  %* Page 2;
  define variable4 / display;
  define variable5 / display;

compute before _page_;
    line @1 pagenumbering $200.;
  encomp;
run;

Note: the code will produce an ODS RTF output. I have left this code off for simplicity.

As you can see, the code above will produce a "wide" PROC REPORT. What I mean by this, the output will produce two pages for every value of the PAGE variable:

Page 1 of x

Page=1

PageNumbering=Page 1 of 8

Variable1 Variable2 Variable3

Page 2 of x

Page=1

PageNumbering=Page 1 of 8

Variable1 Variable4 Variable5

• Variable1 being the ID variable appearing on all pages.
  • Variable2 and Variable3 appearing on the first page.
  • Variable4 and Variable5 appearing on the second page.

The Issue:

The current code will print a line of text above the table on each page via the COMPUTE block. However, as the output is wide the page numbering is repeating, and I know why, but I was curious is there a nice solution, that I do not know about, which will give me the correct page numbering per page.

Page 1 of 16

Variable1 Variable2 Variable3

Page 2 of 16

Variable1 Variable4 Variable5

Notice the Pagenumbering variable has changed 8 to 16 (due to there are technically 2 pages per page as the output is wide) and that the page number is counting correctly. Note, I have created two new PageNumbering variables, so I have these at my disposal too:

/*
Variable1 | Variable2 | Variable3 | Variable4 | Variable5 | Page | PageNumbering | PageNumbering1 | PageNumbering2 |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
xxxx1     | AAAAA     | YY        | LLL       | W         | 1    | Page 1 of 8   | Page 1 of 16   | Page 2 of 16   |
xxxx2     | AA        | YYY       | LLLLLL    | WWWWWWWW  | 1    | Page 1 of 8   | Page 1 of 16   | Page 2 of 16   |
xxxx3     | AAA       |           | L         | WWW       | 1    | Page 1 of 8   | Page 1 of 16   | Page 2 of 16   |
xxxx4     | AAAAA     | YY        | LLL       | W         | 2    | Page 2 of 8   | Page 3 of 16   | Page 4 of 16   |
xxxx5     | AA        | YYY       | LLLLLL    | WWWWWWWW  | 2    | Page 2 of 8   | Page 3 of 16   | Page 4 of 16   |
xxxx6     | AAA       |           | L         | WWW       | 2    | Page 2 of 8   | Page 3 of 16   | Page 4 of 16   |
... */

So Variable2 and Variable3 would use PageNumbering1 and Variable4 and Variable5 would use PageNumbering2.

Things I have already tried (some work):

• Looping the PROC REPORT per page (works but very slow on large datasets)
  • Using the ODS RTF ^{this page} stuff (works but when I combine outputs the page numbering is linked to the entire document and not the output itself).

Any thoughts welcome.

1 REPLY 1
Norman21
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Have you had a look at this post?

https://communities.sas.com/t5/ODS-and-Base-Reporting/Page-number-at-top-and-page-break-after-each-p...

Norman.
SAS 9.4 (TS1M6) X64_10PRO WIN 10.0.17763 Workstation

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation