50.541   .   
44.754   .     

;
run;

proc mi data=Fitness1 seed=1518971 simple nimpute=0;
   em itprint outem=outem;
   var Oxygen RunTime;
run;

here log says: WARNING: All observations are missing for variable RunTime. This variable will be excluded from the analysis.

I want to ask if a variable is all missing, the EM algorithm can't estimate the parameter? Why?

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

@diwang wrote:

data Fitness1;
   input Oxygen RunTime  @@;
   datalines;
44.609   .
54.297   .     
49.874   .   
  .      .    
39.442   .   
50.541   .   
44.754   .     

;
run;

proc mi data=Fitness1 seed=1518971 simple nimpute=0;
   em itprint outem=outem;
   var Oxygen RunTime;
run;

here log says: WARNING: All observations are missing for variable RunTime. This variable will be excluded from the analysis.

I want to ask if a variable is all missing, the EM algorithm can't estimate the parameter? Why?

What do I have my pocket? (to quote a famous hobbit)

The procedure is attempting to make a "reasonable" estimate to replace missing values using information from records with non-missing values to build the rules. If there are no non-missing values then their is nothing to build a rule from.

diwang
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your answer.

But the EM algorithm can estimate the parameter with variables unobserved. Such as the Oxygen is all observed and RunTime  is all unobserved. Here assume (Oxygen, RunTime ) ~ Normal (mu,sigma) ,and we use EM algorithm  can estimate (mu,sigma). Is this wrong ?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation