BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Tommer
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

Below is the program. When I apply format to max it works perfectly as expected, but I was trying to use input statement and the results did not look right at all. One of my colleagues also suggested I can re-write it as max1= input(put((n1/n2),4.1),best.); but I still did not understand why input is converting numeric values to character in the first place. Any help?

data dryrun;
  input n1 n2;
  max = n1/n2;
  max1= input((n1/n2),4.1);

format max 4.1;
datalines;
37 53
40 52
39 52
;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

The input function requires a character value. So when you feed it a numeric value it converts it into a character value, usually using some form of BEST format. Then "inputs" the result.

The question is why would you even attempt an input of such a thing? What do you expect to result?

Generally the approach would be to do a numeric calculation and round the result if you don't want more than one decimal.

Perhaps

max = round( n1/n2, 0.1);

Or show us the explicit result you are expecting/wanting.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

The input function requires a character value. So when you feed it a numeric value it converts it into a character value, usually using some form of BEST format. Then "inputs" the result.

The question is why would you even attempt an input of such a thing? What do you expect to result?

Generally the approach would be to do a numeric calculation and round the result if you don't want more than one decimal.

Perhaps

max = round( n1/n2, 0.1);

Or show us the explicit result you are expecting/wanting.

Tommer
Obsidian | Level 7
thanks @ballardw I was fixing a lengthy existing program where I came across using input function throughout the program in this way and noticed the conversion and that the values did not look right. I am assuming it was used to display it in 4.1 format using input function and numeric to numeric conversion. But I was not clear as why it did not work. Now, I get it. It was looking for a character value and thus, the automatic conversion occurred.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation