BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
skatethejake
Fluorite | Level 6

Why doesn't the below replace the old character value with the right numeric? I have seen the solution in my textbook but I still don't understand as to why I need to name a new array in order to get numeric values for the four variables? The variable subject{I} should be converted to numeric with the input function, there shouldn't be a necessity to make a whole new array no?

Wrong 
data quiz.cleaned;
	set quiz.all_score;
	array subject{4} read math science write;
		do I= 1 to dim(subject);
			if subject{I} = 'missing' then subject{i} = '';
		subject{I} = input(subject{I}, 30.);
		end;
run; 

Right

data quiz.cleaned2;
set quiz.all_score;
array subject_2{4} readN mathN scienceN writeN;
do I= 1 to dim(subject);
subject_2{I} = subject{I} * 1;
end;
run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LeonidBatkhan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

As long as you assign ' ' character value, the variables comprising subject{ } array are declared as type of CHARACTER:

You cannot change variable type from CHARACTER to NUMERIC as long as it is assigned in a data step.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
LeonidBatkhan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

As long as you assign ' ' character value, the variables comprising subject{ } array are declared as type of CHARACTER:

You cannot change variable type from CHARACTER to NUMERIC as long as it is assigned in a data step.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You cannot change the type of an existing variable, you need to create a new one. This is (of course, I'm tempted to say) also true for variables addressed through an array.

The first step would only convert the numeric result of the INPUT() function back to a string for storing in the character variable.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
data quiz.cleaned2;
set quiz.all_score;
array subject_2{4} readN mathN scienceN writeN;
do I= 1 to dim(subject);
subject_2{I} = subject{I} * 1;
end;
run;

Two guesses

1. a character string that is '' cannot be converted to numeric
  2. the character string is not 'missing' but instead 'Missing'
--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

Once a variable is defined as character, which seems to be the case of your subjects from the comparison code you use, the type cannot be changed.

This is a general rule for all SAS variables ( and most languages with any sort of variable typing).

So to create a numeric value for calculations you need a separate variable to hold the numeric version.

OR when you read external data that is supposed to be numeric but may have a code value like "missing" you can use a custom informat.

proc format ;
invalue codemissing (Upcase)
'MISSING' = .
;
run;

data example;
   informat x codemissing.;
   input x;
datalines;
missing
mISSING
;

INVALUE statements in Proc Format create ways to read text into numeric values. In this case it will make the value upper case to compare different possible spellings of missing all with the upper case and assign a missing value to the numeric value. Since the name of the informat created does not use the $ to name it the values are assumed to be numeric and if there is not a specific value listed the BEST format is used.

The custom informat approach would also allow you keep track of different types of missing values. Suppose you have the ones with "missing" you could use the informat to assign a special missing of .M which would refer to a coded missing. If the value were blank in the source file then you would see a basic . for missing.

But neither value would affect calculations of means, sums or other statistics.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation