BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
fpb1
Obsidian | Level 7

Specifically, in data set C I am expecting the value of type in observation 7 to be X, not missing.

```

data a; 
input model type $ price;
datalines; 
1 W 84
2 R 143
3 R 113
4 W 74
5 W 76
6 C 93
;

data b;
input type $ discount;
datalines;
C .25
R .3
W .2
X .5
;
run;

PROC SQL;
CREATE TABLE C AS
SELECT *
FROM A RIGHT JOIN B
ON A.type=B.type;
QUIT;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HB
Barite | Level 11 HB
Barite | Level 11

Try running it as 

PROC SQL;
CREATE TABLE C AS
SELECT b.*, a.*
FROM A RIGHT JOIN B
ON A.type=B.type;
QUIT;
run;

and see if that isn't more what you thought you would get. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

@fpb1 wrote:

Specifically, in data set C I am expecting the value of type in observation 7 to be X, not missing.

```

data a; 
input model type $ price;
datalines; 
1 W 84
2 R 143
3 R 113
4 W 74
5 W 76
6 C 93
;

data b;
input type $ discount;
datalines;
C .25
R .3
W .2
X .5
;
run;

PROC SQL;
CREATE TABLE C AS
SELECT *
FROM A RIGHT JOIN B
ON A.type=B.type;
QUIT;
run;

Best would be to provide an example of what you want for the output. Note that depending on who runs the code row "7" could have different values entirely.

With your code example I get this in the log:

121  PROC SQL;
122  CREATE TABLE C AS
123  SELECT *
124  FROM A RIGHT JOIN B
125  ON A.type=B.type;
WARNING: Variable type already exists on file WORK.C.
NOTE: Table WORK.C created, with 7 rows and 4 columns.

which happens because BOTH data sets have a variable Type and you have not specified which data set you want the value from for the variable Type (for which rows). So typically first set with the variable provides the values, in this set A.

Also since you are requiring a match on type there is none for Type=X in data set B.

Perhaps you are looking for something more like:

PROC SQL;
CREATE TABLE C AS
SELECT coalescec(a.type,b.type) as type, price, discount
FROM A RIGHT JOIN B
ON A.type=B.type;
QUIT;

The coalesecec (and for numeric values, coalesce) returns the first value in the list. So in this case when a.type is missing it looks for b.type.

Serious concern at the validity of the join if you have multiple Type values without matches though.

fpb1
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you. This is a situation I encounter every day, though: demographic information in one table, medical test results in others, not every person has had every medical test so there are lots of non-matches.

ballardw
Super User

@fpb1 wrote:

Thank you. This is a situation I encounter every day, though: demographic information in one table, medical test results in others, not every person has had every medical test so there are lots of non-matches.

If you do not have a personal identifier then you are asking for trouble. The proper matching variable for any medical information should be unique personal identifier.

If you don't have unique personal identifiers go talk to whoever is providing the data as they are setting up a situation with serious medical and financial risks (as in lawsuits).

HB
Barite | Level 11 HB
Barite | Level 11

Try running it as 

PROC SQL;
CREATE TABLE C AS
SELECT b.*, a.*
FROM A RIGHT JOIN B
ON A.type=B.type;
QUIT;
run;

and see if that isn't more what you thought you would get. 

fpb1
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes, that works. I'm assuming that when I type

select *

or

select a.*, b.*

it is showing the first instance of each variable in the case of ambiguity? That makes sense.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation