BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
LL5
Pyrite | Level 9 LL5
Pyrite | Level 9

I have 6 tables that contains different information (price, region, sales, manger, etc) for all inventory items.

I need to create excel spreadsheet for each inventory item. This excel spreadsheet would have 6 separate tabs to show each item's info from the corresponding tables.

Below is what I am doing (also see codes below)

1. Assign XLSX libname to create an excel file for each Inventory item
  2. Use Macro A and B to create spreadsheet with 6 separate tabs for inventory item z3597 and J64x9, respectively

My question is since I have around 25 inventory items (and this number may go up or down each weekly), I would need to assign 25 XLSX libname and run the same macro for 25 times for each inventory number.

What is a more efficient way or better way to accomplish this task? Thanks for everyone's advices. 

LIBNAME A XLSX '/sharedspace/inventory/users/sammy/file_one.XLSX';
LIBNAME B XLSX '/sharedspace/inventory/users/sammy/file_two.XLSX';
LIBNAME Inv '/sharedspace/inventory/weekly/Inv';

%MACRO A(SHEET_NAME, TABLE);
DATA A.&SHEET_NAME;
SET Inv.&TABLE (WHERE=(Inventory_num EQ "Z35q7"));
RUN;
%MEND;

%A(INVENTORY_PRICE,INVENTORY_PRICE);
%A(INVENTORY_REGION,INVENTORY_REGION);
%A(INVENTORY_SALES,INVENTORY_SALES);
%A(INVENTORY_MANAGER,INVENTORY_MANAGER);
%A (INVENTORY_PRODUCT, INVENTORY_PRODUCT);
%A (INVENTORY_TYPE,INVENTORY_TYPE );

%MACRO B(SHEET_NAME, TABLE);
DATA B.&SHEET_NAME;
SET Inv.&TABLE (WHERE=(Inventory_num EQ "J64x9"));
RUN;
%MEND;
%B(INVENTORY_PRICE,INVENTORY_PRICE);
%B(INVENTORY_REGION,INVENTORY_REGION);
%B(INVENTORY_SALES,INVENTORY_SALES);
%B(INVENTORY_MANAGER,INVENTORY_MANAGER);
%B (INVENTORY_PRODUCT, INVENTORY_PRODUCT);
%B (INVENTORY_TYPE,INVENTORY_TYPE );

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

CALL EXECUTE()

Use call execute to dynamically call your macro for a list of variables/criteria that you can generate. 

LL5
Pyrite | Level 9 LL5
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks Reeza, can you give me a quick example? 

Reeza
Super User

Call Execute specifically:

https://gist.github.com/statgeek/beb97b1c6d4517dde3b2

UCLA introductory tutorial on macro variables and macros
https://stats.idre.ucla.edu/sas/seminars/sas-macros-introduction/

Tutorial on converting a working program to a macro
This method is pretty robust and helps prevent errors and makes it much easier to debug your code. Obviously biased, because I wrote it 🙂 https://github.com/statgeek/SAS-Tutorials/blob/master/Turning%20a%20program%20into%20a%20macro.md

Examples of common macro usage
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/SAS-9-4-Macro-Language-Reference-Has-a-New-Ap...

s_lassen
Meteorite | Level 14

Rather than using CALL EXECUTE, I normally write a program to a temporary file and %INCLUDE that. Mostly because the development is easier:

• You can see all the code you have generated before executing
  • You can test a few of the generated steps before committing the whole batch
  • When you are done testing, you can add the %INCLUDE statement to your program

So assuming that you have the inventory items in a table called INVENTORY, you can do something like this:

filename tempsas temp;

data _null_;
  set inventory;
  file tempsas;  
  put
     '%A(' item ',' item ');' /
     '%B(' item ',' item ');' /
     ;
run;

%include tempsas /source2;

But as I said, you may want to take a look at the generated code and test a couple of statements before adding the %INCLUDE statement to your program.

Reeza
Super User

@s_lassen wrote:

Rather than using CALL EXECUTE, I normally write a program to a temporary file and %INCLUDE that. Mostly because the development is easier:

• You can see all the code you have generated before executing

I create my strings to pass to call execute in a variable STR that I can check before executing as well.

• You can test a few of the generated steps before committing the whole batch

You can do that by limiting the obs in the input data set using the OBS= option to test it for a small portion of your code. 

• When you are done testing, you can add the %INCLUDE statement to your program

And then I uncomment the CALL EXECUTE() sections so that they run all at once. 

I think both approaches are almost equivalent today. One plus to the %INCLUDE method though is that you do get a record of what was submitted that's easier to debug than going through the log of a CALL EXECUTE() generated program.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The big advantages of writing the code to a file instead of CALL EXECUTE.

1) Macro timing.  When using CALL EXECUTE to run macros that do code generation based on macro variables created in the macro you have to wrap the macro call in %NRSTR() to avoid timing issues.

2) The power of the PUT statement.  You can use formats, VAR=.

3) The code can be formatted for human readability.

4) Same logic can then been used to generate code files that used in independent jobs.  For example: Run your code generation step when the metadata changes and then schedule the generated code to run whenever the data changes.

The only advantage of CALL EXECUTE is that it is fewer steps. So good for quick code generation that is not too complex.  

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation