BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
whoisyourmother
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm importing this data and there's supposed to be 1 error in there, but I'm getting 2. 

data CarVROOM;
infile "E:\...VROOM.txt" firstobs=9 missover;
input Manufacturer$ Model$ Type$ Min_Price Price Max_Price MPG_city MPG_highway DriveTrain$ Cylinders;
run;

This is the log report:

NOTE: Invalid data for Cylinders in line 70 45-50.
RULE:     ----+----1----+----2----+----3----+----4----+----5----+----6----+----7----+----8----+----9--
70        Mazda RX-7 Sporty 32.5 32.5 32.5 17 25 Rear rotary 50
Manufacturer=Mazda Model=RX-7 Type=Sporty Min_Price=32.5 Price=32.5 Max_Price=32.5 MPG_city=17
MPG_highway=25 DriveTrain=Rear Cylinders=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=57
NOTE: Invalid data for MPG_highway in line 93 36-38.
93        Subaru Justy Small 7.3 8.4 9.5 33  4WD 3 40
Manufacturer=Subaru Model=Justy Type=Small Min_Price=7.3 Price=8.4 Max_Price=9.5 MPG_city=33
MPG_highway=. DriveTrain=3 Cylinders=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=80

It looks like the errors are to do with the values being "." instead of numbers in the dataset, are there any options to add to the infile statement to reduce one of these errors?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Krueger
Pyrite | Level 9

Is Cylinders Numeric or Character? It looks like you have it as a Character in 1 spot ("2WD" /"4WD" I'd assume you want it to be Character) but then reference it missing as if it is numeric: 

Cylinders=.

Maybe try changing the missing data to " " (Blanks)?

Edit: I'm a noob with SAS sorry try changing your input statement for Cylinders and declare it as a Character.

data CarVROOM;
input Manufacturer$ Model$ Type$ Min_Price Price Max_Price MPG_city MPG_highway DriveTrain$ Cylinders$.;
run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Krueger
Pyrite | Level 9

Is Cylinders Numeric or Character? It looks like you have it as a Character in 1 spot ("2WD" /"4WD" I'd assume you want it to be Character) but then reference it missing as if it is numeric: 

Cylinders=.

Maybe try changing the missing data to " " (Blanks)?

Edit: I'm a noob with SAS sorry try changing your input statement for Cylinders and declare it as a Character.

data CarVROOM;
input Manufacturer$ Model$ Type$ Min_Price Price Max_Price MPG_city MPG_highway DriveTrain$ Cylinders$.;
run;
whoisyourmother
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks again! 

Reeza
Super User

It means your data is not being read in correctly. Specifically, cylinders. In this case it looks like the Drivertrain is actually two things: Rear rotary, which contains a space which throws off your alignment of the data. So it tries to read rotary into the cylinders field which is incorrect.

RULE:     ----+----1----+----2----+----3----+----4----+----5----+----6----+----7----+----8----+----9--
Manufacturer=Mazda Model=RX-7 Type=Sporty Min_Price=32.5 Price=32.5 Max_Price=32.5 MPG_city=17

You have a similar issue with other variables.

@whoisyourmother wrote:

I'm importing this data and there's supposed to be 1 error in there, but I'm getting 2. 

data CarVROOM;
input Manufacturer$ Model$ Type$ Min_Price Price Max_Price MPG_city MPG_highway DriveTrain$ Cylinders;
run;

This is the log report:

NOTE: Invalid data for MPG_highway in line 93 36-38.
93        Subaru Justy Small 7.3 8.4 9.5 33  4WD 3 40
Manufacturer=Subaru Model=Justy Type=Small Min_Price=7.3 Price=8.4 Max_Price=9.5 MPG_city=33
MPG_highway=. DriveTrain=3 Cylinders=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=80

It looks like the errors are to do with the values being "." instead of numbers in the dataset, are there any options to add to the infile statement to reduce one of these errors?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Show more of your data.  It does not look like it is formatted in a way that you can parse it.

Here are the two lines you included in your message.

----+----1----+----2----+----3----+----4----+----5----+----6
Mazda RX-7 Sporty 32.5 32.5 32.5 17 25 Rear rotary
Subaru Justy Small 7.3 8.4 9.5 33  4WD 3

You are trying to read the data using LIST MODE input.  So each value is separated by one or more spaces. That first line has 10 values and the second line only has 9 values.  Your INPUT statement is trying to read 10 variables. 3 character, 5 numbers, 1 character and 1 number.  

Looks like you have two issues. 

The first line is having trouble because the value of  DRIVE_TRAIN has an embedded space.  You need to either use something else as the delimiter instead of space, or add an extra space after the values of DRIVE_TRAIN and use the & modifier on the input to have it keep reading until it sees two or more spaces to mark the end of the string.  (You might need to do that for your other character variables also)>

The second appears to be missing a value for one of the 5 numeric values in the middle.  Your text file should have a period to mark where a missing value belongs.  It is not clear which value is missing.

Mazda RX-7 Sporty 32.5 32.5 32.5 17 25 Rear rotary  .
Subaru Justy Small 7.3 8.4 9.5 33 . 4WD  3

Reeza
Super User

I can see you've marked an answer, but given what you've posted that won't actually fix your issue. It will remove the notes from the log (possibly) but it will not read in the data correctly. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation