BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
somebody
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I tried these PROCs in their most simple form and got different t-stats and StdErr. Why so? Here is my data and code:

*Get the dataset;
	filename foo1 URL "http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/faculty/petersen/htm/papers/se/test_data.txt";
	data ds;
	  infile foo1;
	  input firmid year x y;
	run;
*Now run different methods;
	*Normal SE;
		proc reg data=ds;
		    model y = x;
			ods output ParameterEstimates=temp0 fitstatistics=fit0;
		run;
	*Using PROC SURVEYREG with no special specs;
		proc surveyreg data=ds;
			model y = x / solution;
			ods output ParameterEstimates=temp1 fitstatistics=fit1;
		run;quit;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I don't think SURVEYREG computes the standard errors the same as REG.

From the documentation (which you should always check first):

PROC SURVEYREG uses elementwise regression to compute the regression coefficient estimators by generalized least squares estimation. The procedure assumes that the regression coefficients are the same across strata and primary sampling units (PSUs). To estimate the variance-covariance matrix for the regression coefficients, PROC SURVEYREG uses either the Taylor series (linearization) method or replication (resampling) methods to estimate sampling errors of estimators, based on complex sample designs. 

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I don't think SURVEYREG computes the standard errors the same as REG.

From the documentation (which you should always check first):

PROC SURVEYREG uses elementwise regression to compute the regression coefficient estimators by generalized least squares estimation. The procedure assumes that the regression coefficients are the same across strata and primary sampling units (PSUs). To estimate the variance-covariance matrix for the regression coefficients, PROC SURVEYREG uses either the Taylor series (linearization) method or replication (resampling) methods to estimate sampling errors of estimators, based on complex sample designs. 

--
Paige Miller

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation