BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
madtex99
Calcite | Level 5

I have this statement written but when I run the code my format statement doesn't print. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

data work.HW6;
        set TMP1.hw6;
proc format;
        value $TestSite 'Thoracic'='T' 'Lumbar-Spine'='LS';
        value TypeOfImaging 1='MRI' 2='CT' 3='Plain';
proc sort data=work.HW6 nodupkey;
        by descending dos;
proc print data=work.HW6;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

You would have to associate the Format with the variables that you want to use it.

Example: (Assumes that variables Thisvar and Thatvar are in the data set, Thisvar is a character variable and that you want those variables to show the formatted values.

FORMAT thisvar  $testsite. thatvar TypeofImaging. ;
run;

If you want a variable to use a format by default then you make the association permanent by assigning it in a data step or use the utility procedure Datasets to modify the set as such.

The data step version would look like:

data work.HW6;
        set TMP1.hw6;
       format thisvar $testsite. thatvar TypeofImaging. ;
run;

The format does not actually have to exist in your session when assigned the variable but you should make sure it is available when you want to use it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ballardw
Super User

You would have to associate the Format with the variables that you want to use it.

Example: (Assumes that variables Thisvar and Thatvar are in the data set, Thisvar is a character variable and that you want those variables to show the formatted values.

FORMAT thisvar  $testsite. thatvar TypeofImaging. ;
run;

If you want a variable to use a format by default then you make the association permanent by assigning it in a data step or use the utility procedure Datasets to modify the set as such.

The data step version would look like:

data work.HW6;
        set TMP1.hw6;
       format thisvar $testsite. thatvar TypeofImaging. ;
run;

The format does not actually have to exist in your session when assigned the variable but you should make sure it is available when you want to use it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation